Pigeon-Talk banner

What do you consider to be a pretty Pigeon?

3K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  Woodnative 
#1 ·
This is a general question, not intended for a specific breed of pigeon or color or anything. I'm just wondering what you consider to be a pretty pigeon. I find that I often like my multi-colored mixed birds better than some "standard show birds" but that's just me.

If you have a picture of a bird you think is pretty that would be great.

#2 ·
Interesting colors are pretty, as well as interesting ornaments. I think just about every pigeon is pretty, LOL :p Good quality racers/homers also catch my eye. Which means even boring colors like blue bars and checks can be beautiful!

I'll find some pictures on Google of pretty pigeons :)

#3 ·
Well, my computer is being really slow so no pictures for right now. May take some pics of my own pretty birds later :)

But here's some stuff I think is pretty.

Colors:
I LOVE Andalusian and Indigo
Frill Stencil
LOVE Ice
Piebald/splashed/white flights/baldhead
Undergrizzle/Grizzle
Opal
Reduced
Bronze
Mosaics are very pretty!
Basically anything out of the ordinary.

Muffed birds! I really like the long muffs but little grouse legs are cute too!

Breeds:
Like I said, racing homers can be very attractive when in good health/quality. Show type Racing Homers are also pretty (not the same thing as ASR's).
Ice Pigeons/Swiss Crescents (Ice coloration and muffs!)
Indian Fantails - I don't like the huge, loose-feathered, bulky birds. I like the tighter fitting feathers.
Lebanons
Lahores
English Carriers
Lucernes
Hungarians (not to be confused with Giant Hungarian House Pigeons)
Toy Modenas are adorable
Norwich Croppers/Pigmy Pouters
Baldhead Birmingham Rollers (show type is adorable and flying type is also pretty)
West of England Tumblers
And so much more!

Pearl eyes are very pretty to me. Especially on a pretty bird. White eyes are kinda creepy but cool. Bull eyes look nice on white pigeons especially, and on others where it just "fits".

The only things I think are ugly, are Naked Necks...and almost no beaks are ugly (I mean like show type Oriental Frills - literally, no beak at a glance). Double-crested/nasal crested birds can be ugly depending on the breed.

#10 ·
To me the most beautiful pigeon is the one I just can't afford, but want.

Perhaps with next year will bring me a winner, then I'm sure that will be the most beautiful pigeon in the world.

#14 ·
:) you got that right.. but ALLL of mine are pretty :D, love the black indian fantail on here too, yes they are indian fantails i used to raise them and know them by heart, good luck with the pair $35 you scored for sure, and depending on what their parents, grandparents looked like you could end up with different colors in each clutch ;)

#11 ·
American Fans don't have the knot on top of the head, and they don't have the feathered feet. They have bare legs. So I'd say it was an Indian Fan. I love the black.

#15 · (Edited)
These birds are not mine. However, I have reserved a yellow pair from the owner of these birds. These will be one set of yellow parents. I don't have a picture of the others. They are by far my favorite bird and I think they are beautiful. I will have them in the fall :D

But I think most pigeons are beautiful :rolleyes:

#16 ·
These birds are not mine. However, I have reserved a yellow pair from the owner of these birds. These will be one set of yellow parents. I don't have a picture of the others. They are by far my favorite bird and I think they are beautiful.

But I think most pigeons are beautiful :rolleyes:
They are beautiful. Good luck with them when you get them. You'll have to post pics. I love the black ones.

#19 ·
Frillbacks can fly, but not very well. They are very vulnerable to other birds (hawks) because they fly very slow, and only for short distances.

I have seen them with open aviaries, flying around, but never very far :D

I do like the blacks as well, but the yellows were my favorite. I found plenty of red grizzles, a few blacks and blue grizzles, and a hundred whites. I have so far only found 3 people with pure breeder yellows in all of my searching. :eek:

#22 · (Edited)
Good condition in the feathers and body, first and foremost. :) That attracts me to any bird right away--I guess it is when they are at their very best.

I really really like the almost hawk-like look of blue velvet Egyptian Swifts and Archangels. A nicely athletic looking homer is pretty as well. As far as cuter breeds, I really like Old German Owls and similar breeds. As far as colors go (besides the blue velvet and the color of Archangels), I really like pied birds, white birds, and anything brightly colored. A good looking black bird also draws me in. :)

In ringneck doves I really like pied, orange pearled, tangerine, pink, and almost anything that is unusual looking and eye-catching. :)

#33 · (Edited)
Mary of Exeter...

I saw this bird you posted the other day in another thread and thought the coloring was absolutely beautiful.
While I am fickle about the frillbacks, just about any other breed could have coloring like this and I would love it :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.