Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I like the V perches in my smaller loft-as it is limited in wall space. You can put them one under the other (not too close), and not worry about any poop dropping on the bird underneath.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I use a modified box perch that I made myself. I modeled them after the perches they used in the Million Euro Race Loft in China. I really like them a lot as they keep the birds very quiet and stress free. They were a pain to make but I think they are worth it. I will try to post pictures later tonight if I remember.

Dan

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I use a modified box perch that I made myself. I modeled them after the perches they used in the Million Euro Race Loft in China. I really like them a lot as they keep the birds very quiet and stress free. They were a pain to make but I think they are worth it. I will try to post pictures later tonight if I remember.

Dan
Dan - please post those pictures when you can, I'd love to see an example!:D

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The pigeon clinic in Essen, Germany (Taubenklinik Essen) uses box perches or enclosures for their pigeon patients. Each has a drop-down or lift-up door (don't remember which) made of vertical wooden bars, with easy access to a food dish and a water dish which hang from the door, outside the enclosure.

For some reason, all the pigeons' enclosures face the opposite wall, which has windows, and they can hear but not see each other except when being transferred to or from their enclosures.

Very peaceful place.

If you had the occasional injured bird, he or she might prefer the privacy and lack of stress a box affords.

Before committing ourself to one or the other design (if you are renovating), what if you offered the pigeons an alternative to whatever you have, and see if they express preferences, other than the uppermost perch.

Larry

Larry

·
Registered
857 Posts
I once spent about 6 hours completely scraping every inch of one of my lofts with close to 100 pigeons in it. I never got annointed by a pigeon the whole time I was in there.
I went downtown to meet some friend for lunch, looked up as pigeon landed on a wire and if I hadn't jumped would have been nailed by a single feral pigeon after having been missed all day.
Keith

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Thank you for the tip on modified box perches.

I use t-perches, but I also have box perches. The advantage of box perches is that it is easy for you to catch the birds (but it involves lots of cleaning). T-perches and V-perches are easy to clean (they don't soil it much), but the birds escape easily. Your choice. It seems that Dan's modified boxes look really good and clever.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.