Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of using 4-1s 3 in 1s, all in ones. And other meds that treat multiple things.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
My personal opinion and practice is to always try to treat for what is wrong with a drug for that specific problem. When that isn't possible (meaning no clear diagnosis of what is wrong) I have used and will probably continue to try the "multi-purpose" treaments from time to time. I must say that I haven't had much luck with the multi-purpose treatments, however.

I think we might be doing a better job for the birds to treat for the common ailments with drugs and dosages known to cure those problems.

Terry

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
My personal opinion and practice is to always try to treat for what is wrong with a drug for that specific problem. When that isn't possible (meaning no clear diagnosis of what is wrong) I have used and will probably continue to try the "multi-purpose" treaments from time to time. I must say that I haven't had much luck with the multi-purpose treatments, however.

I think we might be doing a better job for the birds to treat for the common ailments with drugs and dosages known to cure those problems.

Terry
I agree, rehabs seem to do better w/treating for known devils w/"drugs and dosages known to cure those problems."

fp

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
If you are blindly medicating and have no clue what is wrong with them I guess it is your best chance. I also hardly ever use these.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you would think that medicating for everything while something is wrong would be good, just in case something else was wrong.

But you guys are the experts, so I will listen to you:)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
The 4 in ones don't have enough of any one medicine to do anything. They are a waste of money according to my vet.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
What does AMOXICILLIN treat.
Antibiotic so anything with bacteria. My kids took it for streph throat and ear infections so here is what foy's said:

One of the most frequently recommended treatments of Paratyphoid by Veternarians. Also used for E-Coli and bacterial infections such as Haemophilus (a respiratory infection). Usual treatment is 5-7 days, but for Paratyphoid use for 14 days. Powder makes 28-30 gallons. Tablets are for individual treatment, use one a day for 5-7 days. 1 teaspoon per gallon of drinking water for 5 to 7 days/

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The 4 in ones don't have enough of any one medicine to do anything. They are a waste of money according to my vet.
I believe the same thing for the dosage on the bottle. I have discused this here before but I woud not tell someone else to use my dosage (more then what the bottle says) in case something went wrong. ;)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I think those 4-1 and 5-1 are shotgun approach when you don't know what you are dealing with. If you can actually know what ills your pigeons, then you can selectively choose the right medicine. Maybe in panic mode you can try those while searching for the real culprit.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Just Say No !!

What do you guys think of using 4-1s 3 in 1s, all in ones. And other meds that treat multiple things.
Not very much.

I think such a concoction was designed in the head of a marketing person, thinking up some "Special" brew of this and that, which could then be sold at some high price. It was not a solution developed by the medical community.

It also is IMO, an indication of how far down the road we have gone in this sport, in trying to find an easy drug solution, for every problem which comes along.

I think it is bad management, and one of the reasons why Rx's must and should be given out by Dr.'s and not some do-it-yourself home doctor.

Now, the insanity has even gone to even higher levels...where pigeon supply houses have even come out with a 10-1. In their efforts to out do the next guy. Stupid....stupid.....stupid. Some of these folks, would have you believe, that if don't purchase and give this and that, and this and that, that you won't have healthy pigeons. This is all Bull....

If you want sick pigeons, then give them 3 in 1, 4 in 1 etc. crap all the time, and see what you end up with.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Its like having a cough and getting meds for treating Pox,malaria,hpv,hiv,aids,gout,neckpain,hemroids,crabs,sprainedankles. LOL 10-1 baby gotta love it. But i think the best bet would be like auromycin or terramycin, i have these but seldom use it.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Its like having a cough and getting meds for treating Pox,malaria,hpv,hiv,aids,gout,neckpain,hemroids,crabs,sprainedankles. LOL 10-1 baby gotta love it. But i think the best bet would be like auromycin or terramycin, i have these but seldom use it.
Yes,

Imagine going into your Dr. and he says I don't really know what you got, but I'm going to give you 3, no let's make it 4, no better still, let me give you some 10 different things....that should fix it !:eek:

Any sane person would walk...I mean run out of that Doctor's office....but for some reason, normally sane pigeon fanciers, will do just that to their pigeons ! And then after misusing and abusing antibiotics....and the birds look sick....they will proclaim that their birds don't have E-Coli, or some other common infection, they will claim something more exotic, and the more exotic the better !! In fact, they become offended if you might suggest, something very common, because in order for their birds to become sick....based on all the crap they have giving them all season...it can't be just any sickness....it has to be something new and special.....:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts