Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my pigeon just died. Naturally as a first time bird owner, it is killing me inside and I keep wondering if I killed him. He was only a couple of months old and when I got him he was sick. I thought I had handled it and then suddenly he’s not feeling well.
We are also in the process of moving so naturally things are everywhere but he only stayed where I was and I never used harsh chemicals like bleach around him. When I did use a diluted form I opened windows turned on fans put a blanket over his cage and kept him away. There have been painters in the hallway for the past couple weeks. The vet thinks he was still sick from the first time and going through his first moult put stress on his body and we just didn’t catch it in time.

So I don’t want a repeat episode. I want these babies to live until I am wrinkled if possible. So what do YOU DO TO KEEP THEM SAFE IN YOUR HOME? Down to mopping floors, cleaning your toilet, washing their toys, bowls, and other random things you might think of?

We already had one pigeon on the way but now we have two from the same breeder. He has wormed them. They have not been vaccinated for PMV. So we were thinking we should take them to the vet first thing to see if anything else is going on before they could possibly come down with something. They are not even 6 months old. Would you get them vaccinated? Bloodwork? What do I need to ask for? Do you take your pigeons to the vet? If so, when and how often?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
When i get a new pigeon, i have our exotics vet examine them and quarantine any new bird for 2 weeks to a month. Generally the vet checks for any obvious diseases and may check a poop sample for parasites. If they later show any symptoms (really weird poop, lethargy, stuck eggs, open mouthed breathing, tail bobbing etc) i get them to a vet as soon as possible. Where we live, vaccinations are not routine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to you about that but what i think about regardless the medical conditon which is important for sure , i think pigeons are more sociable creatures they dislike to be alone or eat alone they can have even depression if they are alone, they love to be among other pigeons all time , if you want to have them as pets just get many of them or relase them and they will vist you daily or even stay all day with you waiting to food , they just don't like to be prisoned , you can recognise that when just seeing them , feed them all grains specially wheat, lentiles, corn seeds and they will love you. they can live for 15 years . Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
, i think pigeons are more sociable creatures they dislike to be alone or eat alone they can have even depression if they are alone, they love to be among other pigeons all time , if you want to have them as pets just get many of them or relase them and they will vist you daily or even stay all day with you waiting to food , they just don't like to be prisoned , you can recognise that when just seeing them , feed them all grains specially wheat, lentiles, corn seeds and they will love you. they can live for 15 years . Thanks.
First of all that is not the question I asked, secondly Monroe has never been with another pigeon ever. He came to me handraised, hand fed by a breeder and had always been inside. That is not to say I was going to get another pigeon to keep him company because I was going to. When he came to me I spent many hours with him. I played with him, he loves to explore new textures and areas, and when I got to be home all day because I quit my job because we were about to move, he was allowed to be out from the time i woke up which is around 5 am until he was ready to settle down and HE put himself in his cage, and that’s how I would know he was ready to end his day. Also we had a hen in waiting until after we moved so I could quarantine her and not put her through the stress of leaving her coup being mailed and then have to go through it all pver again for about another 30 hour drive. So if you want to be useful and not opinionated about things you are assuming and assuming I know nothing and am just an idiot how about you read the post again and answer what I am asking because that would be constructive and useful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts