Pigeon-Talk banner

what does it mean when...

Tags
behavior
1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  TAWhatley 
#1 ·
some behavorial questions for you:
1. the baby i'm taking care of will squeak and flap his wings and i'll give him food but that doesn't seem to be what he wants sometimes. And he won't open his mouth up like the 1st day i had him, ready to gulp down anything. is there something else he wants?

2. i'll put him on my lap or hold him next to my stomach (for warmth) but he insists on climbing up me, sitting on my shoulder right next to my face, and squeaking and flapping his wings. is this an indication he needs or wants something?

3. he's been sick with bacteria (on third day of treatment) and today started drinking a LOT of water, which in some animals is a sign something is wrong with the kidneys. what about in birds? is it the medicine (something called TMS)?

4. i looked over the poop thread (talk about some photos to remember) but would like clarification on what brown, watery poop means. I'm feeding him chow, seeds, tiny bits of strawberry and bits of sardine. but not a lot simply because he's not eating a lot.

Frankly, with all his difficulties i'm surprised he's still alive...i want him to stay that way and i'm worried that ignoring any signs could hurt his chances

thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
OK......

I have found that the babies will naturally want to go to a higher place when you hold them especially on your body. He's just wanting to be a "Big Kid" and view everything around him and Im sure he has a special bond with you so he/she wants to be close. You have become the parent.

The flapping and squeeking is normal, as it shows a bunch of different things one being hungery and another being happy. At this age, hes probably telling you he needs more food. If you hand feed him twice a day and his crop is full, then he is getting all he needs.

I would STOP feeding the strawberry and sardines! This is not something they normally eat. This could be the reason for the watery droppings. Get him/her back on breeder pellets and pigeon mix or wild bird seed. And in time he will settle down for food. Make sure he's hydrated but other then the feed issue, it sounds normal for a bird at this age.

#6 ·
Defrost some corn and peas under hot water until they are defrosted. Gently open the bird's beak and pop the pieces at the back of the throat. You will need to feed 40-50 pieces each time the crop empties which will be 2-3 hours. It's very likely that the bird will start eating these on it's own because they are soft and easy for a bird learning to eat, to pick up. I've had 2 birds of about the same age, this month, that figured it out within 24 hours. Once they do, its pretty easy to get them to eat seed. Pigeons are vegetarians. They eat food discarded by humans, when there is nothing else to eat, just to survive.
Pigeons are very social. Your shoulder is a natural ledge of sorts and the baby can be cozy and close to your face. All baby Pigeons do the squeaking thing and flapping their little wings...one of the reason we call them 'squeakers'.

#8 ·
He doesn't seem too enthusiastic about anything i feed him really. I fed him peas last night and today along with seed. On his own he won't peck the seed much but when i bring him out and scatter seed instinct seems to kick in and he pecks and even gets a few pieces. Being out and seeing other pigeons fires him up; he really needs to go back with his peeps (ok, pun intended) soon. the splint should come off shortly i think, then he'll be released to a bird rehabber.

#10 ·
Someone who rescues and/or rehabilitates sick, injured, or orphaned birds. Most types of birds require both a state and federal permit in order to rehabilitate them. Usually only feral and domestic pigeons, English House Sparrows and European Starlings do not require permits .. all other wild birds do. There are some states where the laws are a little bit different, but for most states the law is as I stated.

Terry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.