Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You have helped me several times with my dove, Kiwi, that my mom raised from a baby at least 15-20 years ago. Up until now (since the last time you all helped with his arthritis and bumblefoot), he has been doing great again. Now all of the sudden he is doing something very strange. He will be walking or standing in his cage and then suddenly lift his head way up and then backwards over his back and then fall over backwards or sort of do a sideways flip. He will do it several times--slowly and spaced out from each other--so it doesn't "appear" to be a seizure--and then continue on with what he was doing or where he was about to go in the cage. Then he will do it all again. I just saw him yesterday (husband says he saw him do it since a week or so ago and didn't say anything because he is just stretching--husband is NOTORIOUS for NOT knowing if something is ill or even dead on one occasion). I told him I wish he would have told me because this was the first time I had seen it. Is this a stroke or something else--anyone ever seen such behavior or action before that could let me know if it is something I should DEFINITELY be concerned about or not (obviously, I'm thinking it is!). Thank you, as always, Sherry answer in here or email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
967 Posts
Not complelty sure but I heard that sometimes pigeons put their heads back like that if they have PMV, again not completly sure, not trying to worry you, but hopefully someone will come along and help more than I can.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Okay, I don't know that much I guess--what is PMV? Nevermind, I looked it up and read about it. Doubt that because he has NO contact with the outside or any other birds--ever. There is no way he could catch it--we don't even have a screen where air from outside comes in. He is at a window where he can watch outside, but it has always had a storm window in, also.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hi V,

It is very unlikely your bird has anything. A bird infected with a virus is a sick bird and shows it. If your bird is otherwise healthy and clear eyed, I would just chalk it up to some sort of odd behavior, possibly for attention.

If it is an infection the bird will start showing other signs of illness, like hiding in a corner, resting beak to the ground, blinking its eyes and shaking its head, lying on its side, etc. Then you have a problem, otherwise enjoy its antics. Maybe it thinks it is a parlor tumbler?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I agree that it's very unlikely your bird has PMV.

If this behavior is something that has started just recently, I think it's important to have the Dove's health checked out by a vet that treats birds. The bird could have an infection that can be easily treated or it could be more serious.
If the Dove had been doing this for years, I'd say never mind.
All the best to both of you.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
You have helped me several times with my dove, Kiwi, that my mom raised from a baby at least 15-20 years ago.

Up until now (since the last time you all helped with his arthritis and bumblefoot), he has been doing great again.

Now all of the sudden he is doing something very strange. He will be walking or standing in his cage and then suddenly lift his head way up and then backwards over his back and then fall over backwards or sort of do a sideways flip. He will do it several times--slowly and spaced out from each other--so it doesn't "appear" to be a seizure--and then continue on with what he was doing or where he was about to go in the cage. Then he will do it all again.

I just saw him yesterday (husband says he saw him do it since a week or so ago and didn't say anything because he is just stretching--husband is NOTORIOUS for NOT knowing if something is ill or even dead on one occasion). I told him I wish he would have told me because this was the first time I had seen it. Is this a stroke or something else--anyone ever seen such behavior or action before that could let me know if it is something I should DEFINITELY be concerned about or not (obviously, I'm thinking it is!). Thank you, as always, Sherry answer in here or email me at [email protected]
Hi Sherry,
This is not normal behavior for a dove or pigeon.

Given the age of your dove and the fact you have had him since he was a baby, I highly doubt he is displaying this behavior to get attention, as has been given as a suggestion. I also don't think it's mere antics. JMO.

I agree with Charis, a visit to the vet would definitely be something to consider.

Please keep us posted on how things are coming along.

Cindy

·
Registered
967 Posts
I knew someone would come along with more knowledge than me. yeah its probably not pmv. Do keep us posted on how it goes though.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Old Age

The key here is 15 or 20 years ago. This bird is super old for a dove and I believe he is showing the signs of OLD AGE. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I knew someone would come along with more knowledge than me.

yeah its probably not pmv.

Do keep us posted on how it goes though.
Actually, Scott, your thought about PMV was a good one, in that the symptoms that Kiwi is displaying do coincide with PMV.

It certainly never hurts to share logical thoughts. ;)

Cindy

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
The reason that I do not believe its PMV is this bird has not been with other birds so how would he come down with PMV as I understand it the bird needs to have had contact with a bird that has PMV or a bird that is a carrier of PMVGEORGE;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts