Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok yall, I really thought this was going to be my first squab that would make it to adult hood. I fixed the loft, made it rat, snake, squirrel proof, and made good, secure nest boxes. today my squab turned three weeks old. Yesterday it was fine. it was going to be a pied indian fantail. I was so ready for a young bird! today after I got home from the zoo, i went to check on the birds. Everyone was fine, chillin in the flyroom. my brother discovered my squab liying in the nest with it's head down. it was still alive, but it seemed to be gasping for air, or water, or food. It's crop was empty. it seemed like it was mabe partially paralized? probably just weak. I rushed it inside. where I used a needleless syringe to give it some water, but it did'nt swallow. so I went to blend some pigeon feed with water. ( i was panicing ) befor i was done, it was dead.
:(
so what happened? I know rats could not get into the nesting shed now that I have fixed it. my theory is either the parents rejected it, or it caught a disease. I did not see any regergitated food in the nest, so i don't think something bothered it like a rat or something. Could it have been a disease?

this is my first year keeping pigeon. this was also my fifth out of five batches this year that failed. I learned alot from the other failure batches, and this time everythig was ready for the squab. Why cant I just raise a bird??:(:(:mad:

I need Help, Encouragement, and PRAYERS.----THANKS YALL

·
Registered
224 Posts
Oh my gosh Steven :(...... i'm so sorry :'(! i know how you feel!!! did you seperate Adwynn from the rest for a while? maybe it caught something from him? i don't know... I'm new to pigeons too.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
You've probably got some kind of disease that the older birds are immune to but it's killing the young. You're probably going to need to run a few courses of antibiotics and such through them all in a flock treatment.

Pidgey

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no last night was adynn's first night in the loft. he seems healthy, and he hasn't been fighting with anyone. I don't think he messed with the squab physically. the squab wasn't externaly wounded.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what kind of antibiotics do you think I need.

Do you have an idea as to why my bird had no food in her crop?

thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
864 Posts
im sorry for your loss
but i woudl assume it was a bacterial infection
pneumonia
maybe mom and dad transfered something to the baby, and it just took time for babys imune system to shut down
or he could have been infected in the egg
what i woudl suggest is check mom and dad, if they transfered it to the baby , remove them so they dont transfer it to other birds
i dont know if u have a veterinarian around , but check mom and dad. let the vet do a fecal on them.
god knows what it could have been
baby was probably dehydrated, and plus hungry
2 weak to fight the infection or whatever it was.
maybe mom and dad knew that something was wrong with him and they stoped feeding it

what i would do is remove my breeding pair till babies are fully weaned.
or u can raise the baby on your own :) that way u will know they will survive
and take them on the check ups :)
i was analysing my pigeons poop weekly

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good call. I'll remember that. thanks.

·
Registered
397 Posts
im so sorry about your baby. seems like your having trouble like me. only you seem to be somewhat better since it lived past two days. it was also suggested to me that the parents might be carriers of something that was infecting the babies. i am treating them with enroflaxyn for ten days. hopefully this will clear whatever it is up and get them on their way to making healthy babies. all we can do is keep trying. good luck steven.
~Hillz

·
Registered
397 Posts
what kind of antibiotics do you think I need.

Do you have an idea as to why my bird had no food in her crop?

thanks for the tip.
this is only a guess but maybe the parents knew that it wasnt going to live and stopped feeding it. just like they will abandon squabs or toss eggs when they can tell its bad.
but like i said its only a guess.

edit: i jus saw that goga82 said this already

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Do rodents get into your loft?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I'm so sorry about your baby.
If your loosing them at about 2-3 weeks old, my guess is that the parents are carriers of something.
Along time ago, I was loosing youngsters at 2-4 weeks old to canker (trichomonadaosis). (it was before I found this forum and all the vets in my area had NO idea how to treat!!) Thats when I started doing online research and found out I could use metronidazole and I was able to save the last one.
The parents showed no signs or symptoms.
Since then, I have done "preventative" treatments (twice a year) using "Ronidazol" (purchased at Foyes pigeon supply), in their drinking water.
I also did 1 treatment if parents were feeding alot of babies and it seemed to solve the problem. I have had no cases of canker since (knock on wood!)
You'll get mixed reviews on preventative treatments, especially if their not showing any symptoms, but its worked for me.
If the baby did contract something from the parents, it probably didn't feel well and stopped eating. I'm so sorry and hope this helps you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts