Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning, pretty gruesome

A family member of mine has a few pigeons including a baby pigeon, maybe about 2 weeks old but I could be off there. I checked on the baby today and found it in its nest with a lot of blood on its face. There seemed to be some kind of puncture wound on the top of its beak that was bleeding, its whole face looked swollen, and it was bald on a lot of areas around the face. It was so upsetting to see. There are no other injuries on the body and he seems otherwise healthy to me.

Has anyone seen this before? Did other pigeons or maybe even its own parents attack it? Should it be separated from the others? It's still getting fed by what I assume is the parent.

I've attached some pictures below, including one picture before the injury for comparison (although it's a blurry pic). Warning: injuries as described.

I cleaned the injured areas with a drop of dish soap diluted in a little bucket of water and dabbed diluted iodine on the wound with a q-tip after some reading about wounds on birds. Bird Vertebrate Beak Galliformes Grass Bird Beak Organism Galliformes Feather Bird Phasianidae Beak Grass Galliformes Vertebrate Mammal Organism Finger Grass

Registered
Hi !
Even parents can attack especialy when the father after 15 days wants to mate again and mother doesn't. This happens unfortunately... but on the pics he is very swollen, that's weird. Like if he made an allergical reaction ? It's good that you dabbed dilluted iodine on the injuries. It may need some anti inflammatories/cortisone ? I don't know if it's wise to let it with the parents unless you can monitor their behaviour ? But then you'll have to handfeed him 馃

I hope somebody else have a better answer !

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi !
Even parents can attack especialy when the father after 15 days wants to mate again and mother doesn't. This happens unfortunately... but on the pics he is very swollen, that's weird. Like if he made an allergical reaction ? It's good that you dabbed dilluted iodine on the injuries. It may need some anti inflammatories/cortisone ? I don't know if it's wise to let it with the parents unless you can monitor their behaviour ? But then you'll have to handfeed him 馃

I hope somebody else have a better answer !
Thank you so much for the answer. I'll look into anti inflammatories for birds. I assumed it's swollen from getting pecked so much.

Unfortunately it happened again.. :( I completely regret not separating it right away. Do you know how to handfeed it? It doesn't peck at food on my hands

Registered
Ok. Before feeding, plse check inside his beak and the back of the throat for any yellow or white growths. If all is clear, you can handfeed him green defrosted peas. Defrost some in lukewarm water. Put baby on your lap against your body. Open the beak and put one pea deep inside the beak over the tongue for him to swallow. If he spits it out, you need to put the pea deeper inside the beak. Feed him 90 peas per day, divided into 3 meals of 30 each. Peas have a lot of moisture, so he won't really need extra water. You can however, dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water to get him to drink.

Registered
This happened the first time I tried to breed my birds. out of 15 only 2 survived. For me, it was because there was too many adult birds and they competed for territory. I put neosporin on my babies' wounds, but I was too late for most of them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. Before feeding, plse check inside his beak and the back of the throat for any yellow or white growths. If all is clear, you can handfeed him green defrosted peas. Defrost some in lukewarm water. Put baby on your lap against your body. Open the beak and put one pea deep inside the beak over the tongue for him to swallow. If he spits it out, you need to put the pea deeper inside the beak. Feed him 90 peas per day, divided into 3 meals of 30 each. Peas have a lot of moisture, so he won't really need extra water. You can however, dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water to get him to drink.
Thank you so much for the feeding instructions!! His throat looks clear to me. Does it have to be frozen peas? Earlier today I fed him a dry seed mix (picture below). He was able to eat them easily whenever I put the seeds (including dry corn) just slightly in his beak. He's also able to drink from a water bowl with some guidance, which I give in between feeding the seeds. So would this be okay instead of defrosted peas?

Good news, we figured out which pigeon was feeding him (the good parent) and which one tried to peck at him, so he has been fed by the good parent today several times under my watch and wasn't harmed, and now he's separated from other pigeons. I don't 100% trust that the feeding parent won't hurt it either so now the baby is separated from all pigeons and I will only let the parent feed when I'm able to monitor it during the day. I hope doing this won't affect the good parent's behavior towards the baby.
Wood Liquid Cuisine Art Ingredient

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This happened the first time I tried to breed my birds. out of 15 only 2 survived. For me, it was because there was too many adult birds and they competed for territory. I put neosporin on my babies' wounds, but I was too late for most of them.
Oh man this is awful, I'm so sorry :(. My relative does indeed own a lot of adult pigeons so it sounds like the same thing has happened here. I've been dabbing diluted iodine on the wounds. The wounds look survivable to me despite how awful. I really hope it's not too late for this baby

Registered
Poor thing, that's heartbreaking. I've heard of people using anti-inflammatories for pigeons in situations like this. I can only imagine what pain and discomfort it must be feeling. Obviously i'd do some research into it and what kinds are safe. Has it got any better?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Poor thing, that's heartbreaking. I've heard of people using anti-inflammatories for pigeons in situations like this. I can only imagine what pain and discomfort it must be feeling. Obviously i'd do some research into it and what kinds are safe. Has it got any better?
Yes it really is heartbreaking :'(. But everyday his face is getting less and less swollen and he's looking better overall! And he's so lively. Loves to eat, chases his mom for more food after being fed by her. I think he'll be okay 鉂

Registered
I would preemptively treat this bird for canker. It looks exactly like one I had. I couldn't ever see any of the telltale lesions of canker in its mouth, but the lesion finally got big enough for me to realize it was up in the sinuses. I manage to pull mine through with canker meds and antibiotics, although she has a crooked beak now.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would preemptively treat this bird for canker. It looks exactly like one I had. I couldn't ever see any of the telltale lesions of canker in its mouth, but the lesion finally got big enough for me to realize it was up in the sinuses. I manage to pull mine through with canker meds and antibiotics, although she has a crooked beak now.
Thank you for the tip! He's getting much better and is no longer swollen since he hasn't been pecked. He has been eating and drinking very well, so I think I will wait it out before giving it any treatment because I've read giving antibiotics without strong indication for it can cause more problems and negatively affect the bird's immunity against bacteria/parasites. But I will definitely watch closely for symptoms of canker!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update!
Not sure if anyone will see under the other comments but, the baby is doing well, no longer swollen, is eating well and is as lively as ever. But as you can see from the pictures below, his skin has dry/scaly patches. Perhaps from the diluted iodine i dabbed on the wounds last time? Or just from it being exposed to the environment because it's bald? Should I let it the skin peel and renew on its own or should i put something to protect it? like plain Vaseline?

Thanks to anyone who can answer!

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe you should put some bactroban or any antibiotic cream on to keep the area moist.
Thank you! Are you sure it's okay to give antibiotic cream despite him not having any infections (at least, i assume he doesn't)? And do you know if I can put unrefined coconut oil on it? I read some threads mentioning it

Registered
Coconut oil will probably be a better option. Ideally the gel from a fresh Aloe vera leaf will also do, but you might have difficulty finding this.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Coconut oil will probably be a better option. Ideally the gel from a fresh Aloe vera leaf will also do, but you might have difficulty finding this.
Thanks so much! I looked it up and indeed, aloe vera leaves and plants are only available online for me. For now I will try coconut oil :) Thank you for all your help throughout this!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts