Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bird fell out of a nest in a large palm tree (July 3)and got stuck in the long dagger-like thorns around the fronds. I climbed a ladder and removed it from the tangled mess and now I am a bird mamma.

1. Is it a pigeon?
2. What do you make of this neck injury? It looks bad but doesn't seem to be bothered by it.
3. It seems to be losing all the feathers around it's neck, is this a normal molting process or is it injury related?
4. There is also a wing injury. Will a wing injury heal in time?
5. What are the chances this bird will ever fly off into the sunset?

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise.
Susan
Gold Canyon, Arizona

I have other pictures and video---Trying to keep it safe, sheltered, hydrated and fed, (although I'm not sure it is eating....but it is pooping!)

PS
Last summer an injured racing pigeon found it's way to my backyard, recovered after about 10 days and stayed for a year.....I grew very attached to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, it is a pigeon. Probably about 3 weeks old. Poor baby.
I would first make a saline solution by boiling a quart of water into which you can put a tablespoon of salt. Let cool to lukewarm and pour or syringe it over the wound. Make sure there is nothing left inside the wound. Dry it and then cover it with an antibacterial cream or ointment. You don't want that to dry out. Neosporin is good, but not if it has the pain reliever included in it. A vet would be helpful here, but keeping it covered and clean, it will probably heal.
No, that much absence of feathers is often a sign of the baby having canker. Can you look way down his throat with a small flashlight and see if there is anything down there? Anything cheesy looking? If those feathers don't come in soon, I would treat for canker. Metronidazole 30 mg for 7 to 10 days.

Is he drinking a lot? And you say he's pooping, so he's eating.
As far as an injured wing, well that would depend on the damage done to the wing. Many heal, but if broken, and not wrapped properly then chances are he won't be able to fly well enough to be released. What damage does it have?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jay3
Thank you so much for your response.

FEATHERS
I'm attaching another picture, does it look like feathers coming in or more falling out? Can you tell?

NECK
I'm sure that the injury on his neck is already dry, it has been 3 days since this happened already. Should I still proceed with the saltwater and antibacterial if it has dried out? When you say make sure there is nothing left inside the wound, what do you mean? No saltwater or other objects?

WING
I think there was a puncture wound but I can't really get a good picture of the injury. The bird is able to close it up much better now than 3days ago. Should I be seeking someone else more qualified to care for it and get the wing set? Any suggestions on how to find someone to do that?

FOOD & WATER
I'm pretty sure the bird is drinking and getting enough water.

It seemed liked the bird was picking up seed in it's beak but then it would shake it out instead of down sort of like it didn't know how to get it up it's beak into it's throat. I smashed up some seed to make it in smaller parts but have no real way of knowing it went down.

Then I read that spinach might be a choice to feed it. Is that a good idea? I'm finding lots of green green poop so I figure it's eating the spinach and possibly the seed but that's in a big heavy bowl so I can't really verify if the seed is being eaten. Tonight was the first time I found it close to the bowl with the sense that it might be eating. Are there other things that might be better or easier for it to eat?

I appreciate the help.

Thank you cwebster.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Green poop can sometimes mean that the bird is starving and not getting enough food. He seems too small to be able to eat by himself. The best to feed will be defrosted peas, about 30 peas 3 times daily. Best way to do this is put the bird on your lap facing the right side (if you are righthanded). Then put your left hand over his body and head and open the beak with your lefthand and then put in the pea over his tongue with your righthand. If he spits it out, means you have not put the pea in deep enough. If you've had him for 3 days now, I suggest you start feeding him immediately. He was probably sitting close to the bowl because of hunger, but does not know how to feed himself.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Jay3
Thank you so much for your response.

FEATHERS
I'm attaching another picture, does it look like feathers coming in or more falling out? Can you tell?

They never did fall out. They just didn't come in. Yes, they are coming in. I saw the ones on the side and higher up in the other pic, but now the lower ones are coming in. That's good. I would wait to treat.

NECK
I'm sure that the injury on his neck is already dry, it has been 3 days since this happened already. Should I still proceed with the saltwater and antibacterial if it has dried out? When you say make sure there is nothing left inside the wound, what do you mean? No saltwater or other objects?

I meant just clean it well. Yes, I would still flush it with the saline, dry it and apply the antibiotic cream, as it will help it heal.Keep it clean.

WING
I think there was a puncture wound but I can't really get a good picture of the injury. The bird is able to close it up much better now than 3days ago. Should I be seeking someone else more qualified to care for it and get the wing set? Any suggestions on how to find someone to do that?

Do you think it is broken? Can you post some more pics of the whole bird? Birds bones heal so quickly, and 4 days is a while. They start to heal however they are going to. Don't know vets around there. Will check for them.

FOOD & WATER
I'm pretty sure the bird is drinking and getting enough water.

It seemed liked the bird was picking up seed in it's beak but then it would shake it out instead of down sort of like it didn't know how to get it up it's beak into it's throat. I smashed up some seed to make it in smaller parts but have no real way of knowing it went down.

He is too young to have been weaned. He was being fed and doesn't know how to eat on his own. Hand feeding frozen peas, which have been defrosted and warmed would be the easiest way to feed him at this point. He will be able to be weaned soon. Can you buy some frozen peas?

Then I read that spinach might be a choice to feed it. Is that a good idea? I'm finding lots of green green poop so I figure it's eating the spinach and possibly the seed but that's in a big heavy bowl so I can't really verify if the seed is being eaten. Tonight was the first time I found it close to the bowl with the sense that it might be eating. Are there other things that might be better or easier for it to eat?

Dark green droppings are probably starvation droppings. You need to get food into him or he will get weak and die. Buy the peas now and get them into him.
You can buy baby bird formula at pet shops, but the peas would be easier to feed him. Please get them today................very important.
I'll check back in a few hours to help you with feeding them. But here are the directions.

If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.

I appreciate the help.

Thank you cwebster.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Peas

PEAS
I ran to the store and got the frozen peas. Struggled to get the bird to open it's mouth but after about 15 minutes of struggling I was able to get 16 peas down. The key for me was grabbing the lower portion the beak and pulling it down to open the mouth. Not sure that was the best technique but I did get 16 down before the bird crawled up to my neck. Decided we both needed a break. It's 8am and already 102 degrees here in the shade.

I put 20 peas in with him. I'll try force feeding some more peas later.

If his poop changes color am I good?

WATER
As soon as I put him back in his shelter (cardboard box with all the sides open and one flap down inside a dog crate up on a table) he went straight for the water dish and drank. That was reassuring to me to know that he is drinking on his own.

WING
Trying for other photos but it's a tough shot to get.

NECK--
I forgot to get the antibacterial ointment. I do have neosporin but it has the pain reliever in it. Why shouldn't I use that kind?

PHOTOS
One is from the first day JULY3rd that I got him out of the tree.
The other is from today.
Also attaching poo pictures in the next post.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
poo

Sorry if the poo is offensive but I'm just trying to figure out what is going on. I am a WFR and with humans we want to know about their ins and outs in detail.

Picture 1 - Water bowl
I'm finding these long worm-like green things in the water. Is he vomiting in there or is that poop?

Picture 2
poo from today 7/7

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The wing is bad. It looks in the pic as though the bone is sticking out actually. That should also have been cleaned. He should be on antibiotics This bird isn't going to fly again, and should probably have the wing amputated by the looks of the picture. That has got to be so painful. A vet would be a good idea.
Thank you for trying to help him, but taking him to Liberty Wildlife may be your only option here unless you can afford a vet who is very experienced with birds.
Looking at all this, I would treat for canker, as it would be very likely that he would come down with it, with all this going on.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That wound on his throat should not have been allowed to dry out like that. It will have a hard time closing. The antibiotic cream was important. The reason why not to use the one with the pain reliever in it, someone posted the other day that it was toxic to birds.

EDIT:
I researched and found information saying that if the pain reliever ends in Caine or cane, llike benzocaine or lidocaine, then it is toxic. But that if the pain med is Pramoxine HCl, which I think Neosporin is, that it is okay on birds. You would have to check. But I would still prefere the Neosporine without it. Bag balm is good too, and you can get it at feed and grain places, and even drug stores.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Do you want encouragement or the truth?
I think you were great to take him in, especially where you didn't know about birds. But I am also telling you the truth about his condition. Are you prepared to take him to a vet? The wing needs to be taken care of, and that kind of injury doesn't heal well anyway, plus it has been a few days. He can get an infection from the wounds. They are also not going to heal well without help. And if those are bones in the pic of the wing, then not good.
Are you prepared to keep a non flying pigeon as a pet for several years, or find it a home? He needs vet attention, and antibiotics. Can you do that?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Do you want encouragement or the truth?
I think you were great to take him in, especially where you didn't know about birds. But I am also telling you the truth about his condition. Are you prepared to take him to a vet? The wing needs to be taken care of, and that kind of injury doesn't heal well anyway, plus it has been a few days. He can get an infection from the wounds. They are also not going to heal well without help. And if those are bones in the pic of the wing, then not good.
Are you prepared to keep a non flying pigeon as a pet for several years, or find it a home? He needs vet attention, and antibiotics. Can you do that?
THIS ^ ^..please, you came here for advice and you got it. Thank you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.