Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to get you birds breeding? Like is there anything that i can give them? I know there are types of seeds like hemp and then there is other things. Just in all what can i do for them and what can i give as a boost if anything?

·
Registered
82 Posts
What is the world are you on about? Since when do they need boosts?! It should always come instinctivly to them otherwise you have a bad pair on your hands. I have never had a pair that wouldn't go at it...in fact they are still at it. I have never heard of something to encourage birds to go at it. Now that i think of it if you put a nest box in and some nesting materials they should get the message. Maybe it's not the right time for them. Weird....are you sure they're of opposite sex?

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Just about anyone will sell you something that will 'do' what you are looking for. Put them in a crate for a day or so and see what they do.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just about anyone will sell you something that will 'do' what you are looking for. Put them in a crate for a day or so and see what they do.
Um i dont no really something to get them going at it. what am i looking for when i put them in a crate like them breeding are fighting flirting are what

·
Registered
25,396 Posts
Make sure they are getting enough protein as that will increase the sex drive.

Also, make sure that you have done all the innoculations, and preventions, that they are all feeling tip top.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Depending on where you are in the world the amount of light they get can have a lot to do with it. I am in Georgia and everyone that is breeding early here has lights on to extend the length of the day. Pigeons would not normally be breeding this time of year so if you want early youngsters, sometimes you have to trick them into thinking it is later in the year. On the average I think most guys give them between 14 and 16 hours of daylight to get them going.

Hope this helps.

Dan

·
Registered
984 Posts
Mine appear to breed for their own personal amusement. I had the flock for a month before they relaxed and paired up. I got fake eggs.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If there new birds let them settle in and then they should pair off. Once they are paired they will seek a nest site. Add some nesting boxes and nest bowls and see if that gets the cocks calling the hens.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they have all that bowl and every thing and i have seen most of my cocks in the bowls calling hens but nuthing

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
pigeonman, please let me know

1) how many birds u have
2) how long u had them for
3) what are u feeding them
4) how big is yr loft or cage
5) how big is yr nest box
6) do u have a bowl in the nest box
7) are u giving enought calcium, grit and other supplements
8) does the loft get enough sunlight

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
by the way, hemp seeds are addictive and illegal to obtain in some places. It does improve the breeding abilities.

Sometimes pigeons like the food for the size and shape and not for the flavor (they have very few taste buds)

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
by the way, hemp seeds are addictive and illegal to obtain in some places. It does improve the breeding abilities.

Sometimes pigeons like the food for the size and shape and not for the flavor (they have very few taste buds)
Congrats on you 1400th post!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
pigeonman, please let me know

1) how many birds u have
2) how long u had them for
3) what are u feeding them
4) how big is yr loft or cage
5) how big is yr nest box
6) do u have a bowl in the nest box
7) are u giving enought calcium, grit and other supplements
8) does the loft get enough sunlight
i have 36 birds
they get sunlight as they want
i am feeding them a raceing pigeons mix and i mix with that a supplemt for breeding birds
grit i have is a red cross grit it is all red
i do have nest bowl
the nest box is a foot hight and and two feet in
my loft is 8feet by 12feet
and i have had them for about a year now

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
one fo my bird have
Put a little bit of nesting material in the bottom of your birds nesting bowls, to kinda get them building a nest. As soon as they start that they will start driving their hens around the loft and when it is all built (in about 5 days) they will call their hens to the nest and they will sit for about 4 days. After this they will lay their eggs and you'll be on the right track. Did you let your cocks into the loft to choose their nest box's before they found their hen? This usually helps when you have alot of new breeders/old birds going into a different loft, it is just a way to get them to have a box and know where they belong. As soon as the squabs hatch, you should throw some more nesting material for the cocks to build a second nest.

Oh almost forgot my 700th post!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts