Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
you can cage up a pair or take a pair and put them in a cage. give them light form 5 am. to about 9pm. do this until they have eggs and the eggs hatch.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
form the first day you put male and female to gether around how many days should that be laying eggs

·
Registered
672 Posts
I think so because you don't want to move a nest with squabs in it because you run the chance of the parents abandoning the nest which they often do when you move the nest.

·
Registered
672 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
it depends on the birds. i caged my black knights for about 2 weeks now still nothing:confused:
Oh sorry i misunderstood what pigeon man was saying. It is 5-7 days after they mate when the eggs are laid it depends when they breed. I don't know your set up but what i do is so a cage with a screen or wire dividers and i put one on each side then when they get warmed up to each other (the hen may bows the cock may pace) you will know when they do. If you chose to let them nest in the cage that you had the divider in then you should have the nest bowl in the cocks side. Or you can put them back into the loft. Just so you know there are a million and one ways to do things so try what is best for you.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Depending on where you are in the world the amount of light they get can have a lot to do with it. I am in Georgia and everyone that is breeding early here has lights on to extend the length of the day. Pigeons would not normally be breeding this time of year so if you want early youngsters, sometimes you have to trick them into thinking it is later in the year. On the average I think most guys give them between 14 and 16 hours of daylight to get them going.

Hope this helps.

Dan

This is right on, and especially if they were not paired before winter they will wait until later in the spring to do so. They need more light.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
ok so if I cage them light form 5 am till 9pm in the lighting system can you just trun off the light are dose it have to get dimer and dimer in thill it is dark

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Just make sure you don't catch a hen off her nest when you shut them off. Otherwise she may not get back to the nest before the eggs/youngsters freeze. A dimmer is probably better but I know guys that don't have one and they do fine. You just have to be careful, observent and thorough.

Good Luck!

Dan

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
were is a good plase to get the lighting system and if any one has some pic are somthing to give me a idea

·
Registered
672 Posts
were is a good plase to get the lighting system and if any one has some pic are somthing to give me a idea
I think you just use regular lights I am sure I will be corrected if i am wrong:) (thats what is great about pigeon talk)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Oh sorry i misunderstood what pigeon man was saying. It is 5-7 days after they mate when the eggs are laid it depends when they breed. I don't know your set up but what i do is so a cage with a screen or wire dividers and i put one on each side then when they get warmed up to each other (the hen may bows the cock may pace) you will know when they do. If you chose to let them nest in the cage that you had the divider in then you should have the nest bowl in the cocks side. Or you can put them back into the loft. Just so you know there are a million and one ways to do things so try what is best for you.

yea i didn't seperate them by screens because the cock doesn't bite the hen . i put them in a cage and light it from 5 to 9. i think they are just too young.. late hatch 07's

21 - 40 of 40 Posts