Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, can anyone answer this ? for me? What is the best way to hand feed two week old piggies? They are not orphans, their parents stopped feeding them, and have "other" things on their minds. ( I think they are working on making MORE! :eek: ) This morning I tried the "spoon method"... Worked, but pretty messy! They are on seed mixed with water. Thanks.:p

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Greetings, can anyone answer this ? for me? What is the best way to hand feed two week old piggies? They are not orphans, their parents stopped feeding them, and have "other" things on their minds. ( I think they are working on making MORE! :eek: ) This morning I tried the "spoon method"... Worked, but pretty messy! They are on seed mixed with water. Thanks.:p
Are you SURE the parents aren't feeding them? A baby that old can be fed seeds, however, they aren't quite old enough to eat them theirselves, so the only way to do it is pop one seed at a time in their mouth. Time consuming. When I have one that age, I feed Kaytee plus 15 or so seeds and then give them water. You CAN teach them to self feed at 16 days old. I've done it quite a few times. However, it takes some time on your part pecking with your finger and getting them interested. Are you keeping them in the loft or bring them inside?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I think the least stressful the better. It's probably less messier and easier on them to put the nipple at the end of syringe and just let them eat out of that, or another less invasive device.

I did spoon feed (baby spoon works best) a couple with seed and water when they were almost full grown, it gets easier, and they don't take in as much at one time. Once they get almost 3 weeks old you can try to wean them.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Renee, Yes, I am sure the parents are not feeding them. Their crops were empty, and they couldn't stretch their little necks out any further to them, and they just ignored them. Right now, I have them in the house in a dog crate. I am feeding pigeon feed, moistened with water. I know this is unusual. That is why I asked.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Are they very weak?

Once they strengthen up and you get the weight back on them, they can let their parents know they are hungry and perhaps they can try again.

You should add probiotics or kefir/yogurt to the seed too.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are they very weak?

Once they strengthen up and you get the weight back on them, they can let their parents know they are hungry and perhaps they can try again.

You should add probiotics or kefir/togurt to the seed too.
Hi, No, they aren't weak. I have been watching them the last few days, and the parents are getting less interested each day. Today, the little guys squawked and stretched out to be fed, and they totally ignored them. I watched this for 1 1/2 hours, and said, "that's enough of this".. I am mixing the Red Cell in water, and mixing that with the feed. What is "kefir/togurt"?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
What is "kefir/togurt"?
Sorry I misspelled that, it's kefir or yogurt.

It's a great source of probiotics if you don't have any. Young pigeons thrive on it, as it introduces good gut bacteria that is wiped out under stress. It is already in short supply in their intestinal tract. It also alows good uptake of nutrients and will give them a good start.

You can buy organic plain yogurt with cultures in it at a health food store, or use human grade probiotics.

I've done the kefir on the spoon and what a mess! It's easier to syringe it down.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I misspelled that, it's kefir or yogurt.

It's a great source of probiotics if you don't have any. Young pigeons thrive on it, as it introduces good gut bacteria that is wiped out under stress. It is already in short supply in their intestinal tract. It also alows good uptake of nutrients and will give them a good start.

You can buy organic plain yogurt with cultures in it at a health food store, or use human grade probiotics.

I've done the kefir on the spoon and what a mess! It's easier to syringe it down.
Hi Trees Gray, I don't have any "organic" yogurt, but I do have some "Acidophilus" (1 tablet).... Should I break it up and feed them a small piece? They do seem active enough, and I am feeding the same seeds as the parents woud have been.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Easyest thing to do is go to a drug store that sells cathter syringes. Get the 60cc one. You will see it has a longer end that will go to the back of the throat for feeding. Then get some chick starter this is crumbled mix it with water makinbg it fairly soupy. Heat in micri wave say 40 seconds stir to mix make sure it is not to hot. Put it in the syringe place the end to back of the troat downrad angle. And push the mix in fast not slow. 2 birds 2 weeks old give say 20 to 30 cc. As they grow increase. This is very fast feeding method . And now days some pigeon supply houses will sell this as a feeding kit.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hi Trees Gray, I don't have any "organic" yogurt, but I do have some "Acidophilus" (1 tablet).... Should I break it up and feed them a small piece? They do seem active enough, and I am feeding the same seeds as the parents woud have been.
Are they refrigerated? I have never heard of acidopholis tablets, I have used probiotic capsules that are refrigerated that I open up and I pour some in the seed.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Easyest thing to do is go to a drug store that sells cathter syringes. Get the 60cc one. You will see it has a longer end that will go to the back of the throat for feeding. Then get some chick starter this is crumbled mix it with water makinbg it fairly soupy. Heat in micri wave say 40 seconds stir to mix make sure it is not to hot. Put it in the syringe place the end to back of the troat downrad angle. And push the mix in fast not slow. 2 birds 2 weeks old give say 20 to 30 cc. As they grow increase. This is very fast feeding method . And now days some pigeon supply houses will sell this as a feeding kit.
Hi re lee, that sounds interesting, but I have no "pigeon supply " places near me, always use mail order. As for the catheter syringe, will have to go to town for that. Is there any reason why I can't feed them the same pigeon feed the parents are eating? It just seems to me, that they feed it to them anyway. Just curious. Thanks

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are they refrigerated? I have never heard of acidopholis tablets, I have used probiotic capsules that are refrigerated that I open up and I pour some in the seed.
Yes, they have been refrigerated... There is only one left in it. ACIDOPHILUS is what is on the bottle. It says it is "fOR HEALTHY DIGESTIVE FUNCTION". It is one large oblong white tablet.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Are they very weak?

You should add probiotics or kefir/yogurt to the seed too.
sorry sue for butting in here, but i was interested in the yogurt thing, i had a thread abou colostrum and someone said that pigeons can't digest milk, as yogurt is a milk product, i am a little confused, can someone tell me the difference,
I hope sue the young ones start stuffing themselves, i know they are in good hands,

PS I like your new signature, lovely kitty,

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry sue for butting in here, but i was interested in the yogurt thing, i had a thread abou colostrum and someone said that pigeons can't digest milk, as yogurt is a milk product, i am a little confused, can someone tell me the difference,
I hope sue the young ones start stuffing themselves, i know they are in good hands,

PS I like your new signature, lovely kitty,
Hi jojo, You're welcome here anytime. I was concerned about the yogurt as well. Good thing I don't have any. I can put seeds in their beaks, and they swallow it fine. I was concerned for mositure, so I wet the seeds first. They are doing great. Once I feed them, they snuggle into their nest and are nice and quiet and sleep, until their crops empty again... That's when "Tweety" starts up, and I check on them, and when their crops are empty I refill them. Anything else I need to do?

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Hi re lee, that sounds interesting, but I have no "pigeon supply " places near me, always use mail order. As for the catheter syringe, will have to go to town for that. Is there any reason why I can't feed them the same pigeon feed the parents are eating? It just seems to me, that they feed it to them anyway. Just curious. Thanks
Chick starter is at any feed store its for baby chickens. Grain you would just need to put it in a straw and put the straw to the back of the throat then use a syringe with some tubing on it to give water. 1/4 grain 3/4 water.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I like this way of feeding babies, easy and not scary at all...it works with small seeds as well as formula. We use the plastic outer casing/holder that a large syringe comes in, put some stretchy bandage tape on the open side, cut a hole in the tape, the bird sticks his beak in and voila!

http://www.urbanwildlifesociety.org/WLR/BabyPij&DuvFeedg.htm
Hi sabina, It does look a lot easier. At 15 days old, tho, shouldn't they be on seeds? I know they aren't old enough to pick out of a dish, but when the parents did feed them, their crops just bulged with seeds, so that is why I ask. thank you for the link.
Would a Turkey Baster (without the bulb) work in a pinch? No feed stores are open on the weekends, so there is no way to get any chick starter until next week. I do have the Turkey baster tho!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi sue, the birds at 15 days as you know would be getting the food from the parent birds at this stage, so if you feed the small seeds with some water they should be fine, in no time they will be picking it out of your hands, from now you are mummy and daddy:D
Don't over feed them, stick to a routine like the parent birds and just keep them happy,

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi sue, the birds at 15 days as you know would be getting the food from the parent birds at this stage, so if you feed the small seeds with some water they should be fine, in no time they will be picking it out of your hands, from now you are mummy and daddy:D
Don't over feed them, stick to a routine like the parent birds and just keep them happy,
That is exactly what I was thinking! I couldn't figure out why the chick starter, etc., because they were getting fed by their parents until they decided they should go off and make MORE! :eek: I'll have to put a picture of my cat out there, and maybe that will straighten them up! :p

1 - 20 of 44 Posts