Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:I just discovered another problem, with another young baby. Parents feed both him and his sister (though it is somehow of crowdy in their basket as mom has brand new eggs --of course promptly replaced with dummies--), there is no smell in mouth or poop problem, but something very ugly grew on his right nostril, I am afraid not to be a tumor. Maybe it is just like a "skin tag" with no later problem? What do you think and what can I do even if at this stage he is still nursed by dad. Thank you. (I hope that you can see the protuding bulge on his right nostril from this not too lighted pic at this time of the night.)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
This could be pox, even though it does look a bit too big to be pox.
Could you post a picture taken closer, more detailed? That might help more identifying whatever this is.

Reti

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Dear Reti, it is night again, a bad light for a clear picture, and it is not pox as it is a swelling which I think now what it is. Today afternoon I had a second look at her bump, this time from the right side and I discovered that the poor girlie had her right nostril completely closed with a blood clot. I took my sterilized instrument (looks like a thick needle) and tried to gently clean the place but it did not want to open easily so I forced it a little. Not little was my surprise when I removed from there a piece of something that if it was not so stone hard I would have thought it was a piece of canker (I removed canker in the past from a baby pigeon's mouth but it was not THIS hard in consistence). I still cannot figure out what was that square piece of ... stone? Her poop is fine, she smells fine, there is nothing in her mouth/throat cheesy like but just in case Christy (eh, her problem coming at Christmas, she had to be a "Christy", didn't she) started her metronidazole. After I treated her (supposed to be) wound after removal of the nostril obstruction with cayenne pepper, she fell asleep peacefully in her new nest (inside her cage in my room) far from her mom and dad and sister who pushed her at least three times today from their overcrowdy nest right to the attic's floor 8 feet below where strange adults lurk in quest of "enemy" babies. I hope she will get well soon. Don't ask me what has cayenne anything to do with this story, I told another story already at the end of Dima's thread about the seagul attacked pigeon young lady. Oh, boy, there is never a complete peace with these 24 birds, once the last resolved her issue, the first starts another problem. I guess all of you have the same situation. Thank you and good night.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Yes, I think most of us know the feeling -- there is always something needing care. I hope this resolves the problem -- I'm not sure what the obstruction could be, except maybe canker -- it can get rock hard when it dries up.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Mini. Aha, possible canker. But, in the nose? Anyway, I started with metronidazole and, just in case I added the baytril too. Is it any problem if I put them both in the same cup of water?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Canker can get in the nostrils, so that is possible. Glad you are doing both Baytril and Metronidazole. If you are only set up to dose with the water, then putting both in together is okay -- they can be given together. Are you only able to give medication in water, or could you dose individually?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nose is fine but NOW I GOT A NEW SCARE: VOMITING

The nose is healing fine (though it is still swollen like a pink pea) but the baby throws up everything I give her. I am terrified that she will die from starvation. I have never seen a pigeon vomiting before, especially such a young one. I know that my feeding her is a big jump from father's crop soup but I think that maybe the antibiotics make her nauseatic. Does it? What can I do, what can I do? I am loosing this one tooooooooo. Again. Too much. What did I do wrong? She is not pooping liquid green (like the poops she started yesterday) anymore, just black and with some substance but... Boy, she vomits everything, especially seeds including small. But I found seeds that I did not give her, obviously from her father ... last series. I am REALLY scared. I started to love this bumpy nose little girl, we slept together (my room is the warmest in the house) and she is so quiet not disturbing me at all. I've passed through this before. You hope, you put all your energy, all your prayers, all your love, every minute of your days and nights and then you have him or her gasping for air, then stretching her neck... Ah, I don't want to think of that now. What kind of liquid food I could give her, that it does not scratches her throat? Except for vomiting she is a darling. Desperately yours,
M

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
If you read on my story about the pigeon attacked by seagull, i was using the same combination of Baytril *&Metro, and it happened the same: vomiting everything and the poops as you described (check the pic in my post). I stopped the medication and even handfeeding her defrosted pea didn't work, she still was throwing up. I got this great tip from Bella_F to feed her Purina Kitten Kibble ( it soaks in the water quickly) so if you never used syringe you can break in small pieces and pop it in her mouth. My Pij started to eat on it own after in two days after giving Purina. You cab continue the medication after she starts eating , i would say first with Metro (not Baytril in the same time). My Pij was also puking the seeds with a green liquid. I believe it was the Bile. But i do not know the digestive system of a pigeon so well as to say the bile liquid was going all the way up in her stomach, but i have no other explanation.
I hope it gets better.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I don't know where you are located but if you can get pepto bismo...give a couple of drops about 15 minutes before medicating or feeding and it usually stops vomiting. The medication can cause vomiting.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
As soon as I stopped the (hard shell) seeds and gave her some Gerber pea baby food with a syringe she stopped vomiting. To make sure which one bothered her, the scratching throat seeds or the antibiotic/s, after a while I gave her the (disolved in water) medication. So far so good as far as the throwing up is concerned. But that baby food was so watery itself, poor Christy is very weak losing balance and shaking when trying to move. Could this be from a 2-3 days of starving? Could also be... PMV?! I am so afraid of losing her. Thank you all for your kind concern and info.
AFTER I HAD JUST DISCOVERED THAT THERE IS A DISEASE CALLED YOUNG BIRD VOMITING SINDROME, "ADENOVIRUS", I came back to check up on Christy. She is resting and actually sleeping peacefully. Real sleep. Just go over the list of all pigeons diseases surfing on: www.pigeonchat.net/viewtopic.php?t=1577. Maybe you will find it, as I did as a very good info on pigeons' diseases. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I really hope this isn't adenovirus! Please keep her separate from the others just in case -- and supportive heat is always helpful when a bird is sick.

It could be the medications causing the vomiting, particularly since she didn't vomit the formula, but the weakness and lack of balance are a bit worrying. There are a number of bacterial infections that can cause those symptoms.

You are doing a good job with these birds -- it isn't easy taking care of so many, particularly since they are wild birds who may have all sorts of problems.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
How is she pooping? Any pic of the dropping?
Good question.
Also...I'm wondering if you are feeding enough. As you are feeding Gerber peas, she will need at least 60 ccs a day, divided into amounts she can tolerate.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, you need to feed enough, or that will also make her weak and off balance. How much are you feeding her in cc's?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
poop pic, feed cautiously today, of course she is separated from the gang

As said she sleeps with me, in my room and mostly in my bed, and when awake she likes to sit on my shoulder. Because she had (BAD and greenish/watery) stomach problems yesterday, plus the vomiting, I started to feed her cautiously today (15 cc PLUS unshelled seed crumbs 3 times a day), so she is not pooping green anymore. Also she is not vomiting at all anymore. As you can see from the attached pics it is something (not watery) dark (black?) in color. Tomorrow she will eat more. Maybe this time, I'll be lucky. Thank you for your kindness and good night.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If he isn't producing droppings, then he isn't eating enough and will get very weak very quickly.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are right as of what you see. You cannot see bigger than they actually are. Size is not bigger than a mouse dropping. Small little black things, but not the green mucus of yesterday. Her starvation is not my fault but of his mom and dad (mom hurried to lie eggs and dad preferred feeding her sibling, both throwing her out of nest repeatedly two days ago). When I picked her up two days ago and hand feed her, she started to throw up and the rest of the story is what you know. I cannot pump food from the first day more than I am doing she might get indigestion. But if she lives, she will get more every day. IF. I am so used to see all my efforts collapse into a piece of lifeless form not once in the past. I am even afraid to hope too much. (Is life too much) Thank you

1 - 20 of 32 Posts