Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started flying my 4 pigeons again(mom,dad and 2 kids). The older son actually attracted a very beatiful female and she came in with him into my aviary, after sleeping two days on the power pole by my background. I thought it was so romantic that my male pigeon didnt event come to the aviary to eat or drink but hung out with this new pretty lady. Now they have 2 eggs already :)
I just wanted to know what kind she is. also I forgot what kind my other female was. I know the dad is a White King pigeon.
So please check out my pictures and let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I am not good with recognizing breeds, but they sure are pretty birds.

Reti

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I'm glad your male pigeon attracted a new pigeon to the loft, but you really need to isolate any new and strange pigeons you allow in your coop for several weeks. it is just a precaution, but disease can bring down and has brought down a whole coop, just by allowing a stranger to come inside. Also, birds should get preventive nutrition before breeding.

Those are lovely birds, by the way... :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The white King is actually my first pigeon. I found it at a gas station door one night when I was filling up. I approached and tried to pet and it didnt run away or anything, so I held him. It was love at first sight :) then one of my friends who is a pigeon fanatic and has couple hundred rare breed pigeons(not breeding just keeping them) gave me 3 other pigeons including the West of England Tumbler. I lost the other two due to hawk attacks. and the tumbler and White King paired and had babies.
And yes the King pigeons home, at least mine does. I let them fly in the late afternoons, the two young ones fly for several minutes circling in the neighborhood. The white king doesnt fly too much but may be a circle or two. I think its just too big and fat. I can barely hold him :) He is very tame. His name is Homer by the way :) given by my daughter.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
In the second picture, the large white bird is a utility king, and the muffed bird is a West of England Tumbler. The last picture is what you get when you mix the two above it.

In the first picture, I'm not sure. She (or he?) looks kind of like a roller. I'd have to see a better picture, maybe of her standing. That way I can see the shape of the head, body, and beak and how big they are in proportion to each other.

Alb23m, King pigeons have almost no homing ability. The instinct is there, in that they will go back into the loft when let out to flutter around, but other than that, if they can't see the loft, they are lost. So they are very easily re-settled to new lofts :)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I agree with West of England Tumbler for the muffed leg pigeon. The one in the nest looks like a roller.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The one in the nest actaully have very long wings compared to her body or compared to the other birds I have. Her tail is also very long. She might be high flyer??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts