Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what breed of pigeon is this,and does anyone own,or breed this varity? see link...... http://www.pbase.com/johanops/image/75846026

If anyone knows about this type of pigeon,and has any breed information and breeder names(good breeders),would you let me know please.Thank you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found it,i think these are German Double Crested Trumpeters,but i'm not sure.Can someone help me confirm it?

·
Registered
508 Posts
what ever it is, it's cool looking!

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Bokharas and Double-crests look very similar, but I'm going with the Double-crested.

Did you guys know that the caption below that picture, translated from Dutch to English, means "German duplicate cape drum pigeon"? :p Probably a rough translation, as that makes no sense, haha. I've never heard of Duplicate (possibly 'double'?) Cape Drum pigeons :p

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Looking in the breed encyclopedia, it also says the german name for these is 'Doppelkuppige Trommeltaube'. Pretty similar to what it says in the caption, except of course the caption isn't in German, haha. The main difference between a Bokhara and German Double-crest, is that the rose crest on the Bokhara is very developed. You can't even see the face from the front. Just a big circle of feathers, with a giant shell crest behind it. Then the double-crest's rose is basically just a tuft of feathers in a circle. They aren't as long or as full as the other.

Another thing, the caption translates to tell us it is German, and the Bokharas are known as Russian Trumpeters.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Trumpeter it is.....I had 2 of them....one flew away the other day and has not return. Either it's got really good homing sense or non at all.....I just keep checking the cage.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Trumpeter it is.....I had 2 of them....one flew away the other day and has not return. Either it's got really good homing sense or non at all.....I just keep checking the cage.
they are show birds, too bad you did not know that before you let them out.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Show birds have very little/no homing ability at all. If a hawk gets after them, or they happen to fly too far, if they can't see the loft they are lost. Most of them are poor fliers as well, especially those birds had lots of fancy feathers (large muffs and whatnot). These kinds of Trumpeters are definitely to be kept in. Anything with a rose crest or large hood won't be able to see as well in all the directions it should, so it's easy hawk food.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I will translate it for you:

It IS written in Dutch, and translated it is:

German Double Crested Trumpeter pigeons.

Duitse- German
Dubbel- double
gekapte- crested/capped
trommel-Trumpeter
duif- dove/pigeon

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I will translate it for you:

It IS written in Dutch, and translated it is:

German Double Crested Trumpeter pigeons.

Duitse- German
Dubbel- double
gekapte- crested/capped
trommel-Trumpeter
duif- dove/pigeon
are you Dutch?!:) I wish I knew another language.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts