Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if I am not posting in the correct subforum. I am hoping someone might be able to tell me what breed of pigeon this is. It was found in western Missouri, USA.

Here's how he ended up with us. My bf's coworker found a pigeon on the side of the road with a broken wing. I don't know how long he had him before he asked my bf (who is known to have a knack with animals) to take the bird. Bf brought him home yesterday. He is trying to use thick hose to support the broken wing, but it slides off a few times a day (as shown). The pigeon seems relatively content, eats and drinks and makes gruff huffy noises at us when we get close to his (or her) cage. Bf is hoping the pigeon will heal up, if not well enough to fly then well enough to go outside in our large chicken/peacock coop.

I have skimmed some of the information on this forum but plan on reading a lot more. I can see there is a wealth of knowledge here!
Thanks for reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you know it is hard to tell, he may be a feral mix with homer or with some other domestic breed. He may need an antibiotic treatment and then a deworming after that. that is what I would do for him, If you get more pics he may look more like a homer if we can see him better, him being white with the red/brown on his back he could of been let loose from someone who bred him and wanted all white birds and did not want this one...not say that is for sure it is just a guess on my part...welcome to PT, hope you get this one healthy again! :)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Christina0001,
Welcome to PT :) Sweet bird. From the pic, looks like some kind of homer/mix breed. Judging from size and eye color, definately a young bird. Hope wing gets better soon. Peace :)

·
Registered
935 Posts
The birds wing really need to be set correctly...if it is set back wrong it may never fly again.

The bird looks young, no white on the cere. Its hard to tell from the picture, what breed it is. A picture while out of the cage, may help. Depending on the bird and other things, it may be best not to release it.

-Hilly

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Very pretty bird. I hope you can fix the wing, and if not I hope you can give it a great home. It sounds like you can. I would find out from the guy who had it to see how long he has had it. I mean if he has had it for a month then the wing may not be able to be fixed. I don't know I just think the more information you can provide the better help someone can give you. Good job on helping the bird, it is a very pretty bird. min

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
It wouldn't be a good idea to put the bird in the chicken/peacock coop if the coop has chickens and peacocks in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts