Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see much people in this forum put pigeons in the same position as pets as they were cats or dogs. They are not. From the pigeons we must want what a pigeon can offer, nice looking, highfying, homing abbility, rolling...
to ask other things from pigeons it is the same as asking the dogs or cats to fly. I beleave all of us love pigeons, otherwise We would't be here. What We can do to help them is simple, creating a comfortating habitat for each pigeon We own, having each of them a different caracter. I hope You understand what I wish to say.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Nitla - I beg to differ - Having 2 dogs and 2 cats, my pigeon is a pet, and part of the family - he lives indoors in a cage and gets plenty of attention from everyone in the family including my pug who happens to really like him - just last night my pigeon was "preening" my pug. Go figure... - there are many who like to race their birds, show their birds and breed their birds - there are others that just love their birds for what they are - great pets. They happen to be very versitle creatures and there are many here that would agree that they do in fact make exceptional pets.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I agree with you Donna.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I see much people in this forum put pigeons in the same position as pets as they were cats or dogs. They are not.
I do not agree, as I have both homing pigeons and pet pigeons. I have trained homing pigeons, pets respond different.

I know other people who have pet pigeons also.

They have been hand raised due to some unfortunate situation, they actually listen to commands given, have adapted to living indoors as well. They are very smart, they behave and respond like other species of birds kept indoors when given one on one attention.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yesterday... just out of curiosity, I got a hand full of pictures of me. Two with pigeons on my shoulder, two without... and one cross eyed just for fun.
I put them on hotornot.com. It hasn't been very long but I think the initial results are interesting.
I got a 9.9 in the without pigeon picture and... a 6.7 in the picture with a pigeon. Wow... people really don't like pigeons! I kind of thought posing with a cute bird-friend would bring the score up... but man people really don't like pigeons. Thats too bad though, because we know how wonderfull they can be. I would take a pigeon over a parrot anyday.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I Do believe pigeons need more flying time/room that other birds. But for me, I think that pigeons are such great animals to have because they can serve so many of these perposes. You can breed and show them, race them, raise them for their preformance, or just have them as pets. There are SOOOO many possibilities with having pigeons, thats what makes them so special!:D As cvarnon said, it's to bad most people just don't like pigeons, otherwise it would probably be more popular that parrots. But we were the smart ones and didn't judge that book by it's cover.;)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I see much people in this forum put pigeons in the same position as pets as they were cats or dogs. They are not. From the pigeons we must want what a pigeon can offer, nice looking, highfying, homing abbility, rolling...
to ask other things from pigeons it is the same as asking the dogs or cats to fly. I beleave all of us love pigeons, otherwise We would't be here. What We can do to help them is simple, creating a comfortating habitat for each pigeon We own, having each of them a different caracter. I hope You understand what I wish to say.

What is the purpose of this posting and thread? In other words, what is your agenda? This comes from out in left field, for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i think he looks at pigeons as stock, not any different than owning dishes, your couch, your car.
i think pigeons make great pets, i also have many parrots as pets they all make great pets for different reasons, nothing sweeter than when a pigeon loves you back

·
Registered
293 Posts
I myself am a bit perplexed at this post. I don't even have my pigeons yet, but one would only need to read the posts here as I have to realize that these owners just as owners of a cat or a dog rescue, nurture, train, show, etc, etc and grieve at their losses of what they consider not only their pets... but their "friends".

·
Registered
60 Posts
To me, if you treat it like a pet, then it is a pet... Unless it eats you, then it is a mistake.
I really don't think there are any animals not capable of being a "pet." But you have to realize that a dog, tiger, pigeon, toad and fish are all different animals. They won't act the same and you can't treat them the same.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
PET pigeons come to us because of injuries/accidents, or come to us as babies without parents due to some unfortunate accident.

They are victims of accidents with an immediate need for human intervention. Being a pet is not forced upon them, it is a result of a need and bonding/adapting to a human world with 24/7 attention from us.

If you have such a bird in your possession then you truly know a "pet" pigeon and what they are capable of.

I am one so lucky, and truly blessed....as are others here on this forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts