Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering if white or red pine needles are good for nesting for pigeons. The needles are at least 4-6 inches long.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are almost the same to me.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wondering if they are good for nesting thats all. I have never tried pine needles for nesting material.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yes...they are very good to use. I use either White Pine needles or hay. I first layer the bottom of the nest with pine shavings...then top it with the pine needles or coarse hay. Squabs need something coarse to grasp onto with their feet to keep their legs from spreading out...and getting splayed legs :eek:

Dawn

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good because we have at least 50 white pine trees and all the pine needles are cluttering the lawn. Now I know what we could use them for. :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yah it is. :) I was in search of some nesting material, but I found it in my own backyard. :)

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
A lot of birds don't want to bother with the shorter 4 inch needles. They like the longer and heavier ones that are about 8 or 9 inches or so long. I let my birds build their own nest, as they enjoy it, and that's an important part of their nesting routine, but they won't use the shorter, lighter ones like that.

·
Registered
497 Posts
A lot of birds don't want to bother with the shorter 4 inch needles. They like the longer and heavier ones that are about 8 or 9 inches or so long. I let my birds build their own nest, as they enjoy it, and that's an important part of their nesting routine, but they won't use the shorter, lighter ones like that.
My birds like the shorter ones...the longer ones...and the in between ones...don't matter to them as long as they have their nesting material! :D

I let my birds build their own nest too...but I take the precaution of making sure the bottom of the bowl or box is covered first with pine shavings and enough nesting material to avoid splayed legs...then I let them be happy and enjoy building and adding to their nest with the pine needles or hay that I provide for them.

Dawn

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Maybe your doves like them because the doves are smaller? I don't know. My pigeons won't even look at them.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe your doves like them because the doves are smaller? I don't know. My pigeons won't even look at them.
Lol they must be quite disgusted. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have three long leaf pines in my yard that drop a ton of needles. My rignecks love them for building nests. I just put an old corner litterbox (that our ferrets refused to use) in the corner with the needles. Then they go to town happily flying back & forth gathering one needle at a time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts