Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of homers that produce top babies! But the sire is driving me nuts! They both sit well on the eggs, taking turns and protecting the nest, father is super aggressive. But EVERY TIME the babies begin to hatch, i find them on the ground directly below the nest bowl dead and bloody. He smashes the eggs and then drops the chicks out of the nest. I know because I attached a baby cam to my VCR last night. He gets a little edgy and steps on the eggs and then grabs the chicks and clears the nest. This is the third time it has happened.

Any suggestions on what to do? I separated the pair right now. Would it just be in the best interest of the flock to sell the cock bird?

Has anybody had this expierence?

NOTE: At first I thought it was canker, treated for that and it happened again and i had a suspicion he was stepping on the eggs but didnt know, so i figured it was a one time deal, and sure enough again he did it! But he only does it to hatching chicks. Not eggs.

· Registered
20,303 Posts
yeah, you don't want to breed that one anyway traits like this can run in families, I would get him a mate and just use dummie eggs and he can retire, if you sell him another person will/may have the same problem. some may say to foster the eggs, but I would not want to breed such a bird.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I never thought about that. I love this forum. :D I think I will remate the hen and just retire the cock to the "retired box". I fly all the retired birds just for fun around my place. I have to keep an eye on his young that he had last year. I didnt know it would transfer through the genes. But makes sense.

It just seemed odd to me that he would wait until they hatch to kill them. But oh well.

THANK YOU

· Registered
13,150 Posts
Keep in mind that it is the nature of the Pigeon to mate for life. I think you should retire them both and give them wooden eggs to incubate. It just seems like the right thing to do.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would be easier on me. I hate breaking up and remating birds. Just seems like they are depressed when that happens. Thanks for the advice. I am going out right now to move them into the retirement home. They will have a nest box and everything in there to. besides I give them some of those white wooden eggs i bought from Foys i think. No annoying brats beggin for food.:D

· Registered
13,150 Posts
You know...after a year or two, he may calm down. I've had that experience with bully birds.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool. That would be great because his young are some of the faster I have. (Isnt that funny?) Plus he is a 2008 bird. I hope he does calm down. But i moved them to the retirement loft for now. Still be able to nest. Just not hatch any live young.

· Registered
13,150 Posts
cool. That would be great because his young are some of the faster I have. (Isnt that funny?) Plus he is a 2008 bird. I hope he does calm down. But i moved them to the retirement loft for now. Still be able to nest. Just not hatch any live young.
He will calm down..pretty sure of it.:)

· Guardian Angel
4,194 Posts
I see by this post that this cock has raised young before.You say that:confused: "his young are some of the faster that you have,":( so you must have had him mated before.So I must ask did you remate him to this new hen that he is mated to now?GEORGE;)

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Charis.

George, no. He has been mated to the same hen ever since I have had him. He has raised young in the past but he just recently started doing this around early March I believe? It has been three clutches. And it only happens when the eggs start to pip. Because the day when i feed I can see the break in the egg and then the next day, bam, their on the floor, dead and bloody and he has blood all on his beak.

A roller flyer near me told me what HE would do to him. (I think you know what I mean) But i refuse to do that.

· Registered
13,150 Posts
Thank you Charis.

George, no. He has been mated to the same hen ever since I have had him. He has raised young in the past but he just recently started doing this around early March I believe? It has been three clutches. And it only happens when the eggs start to pip. Because the day when i feed I can see the break in the egg and then the next day, bam, their on the floor, dead and bloody and he has blood all on his beak.

A roller flyer near me told me what HE would do to him. (I think you know what I mean) But i refuse to do that.
Thanks for being a GOOD EGG!:D:cool:

· Registered
13,150 Posts
LOL, well he acted like it was nothing. But i just couldnt do that to a perfectly healthy pigeon. Although he has some mental problems. Otherwise he is healthy:p
LOL...you mean the Roller keeper has mental problems? I would say so.:eek:

· Registered
4,082 Posts
Foster the eggs then if you believe this pair produces top notch birds. His behavior is rather unusual. Is he trying to eat the shell by any chance?

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eating the shell? I dont think he is. It was more like a smashing with the foot and stomping both the egg and baby. Then he picks up the chick and drops him from his nest box. And starts on the other chick. I was going to upload the video on to Youtube but it was attached to my VCR (I know, who has them anymore?) So thats a no go so far.

I am a little worried about breeding them because although they are good birds I dont want a bunch of hard to raise birds in the future. I am a little worried it will pass on. As Spirit Wings said.

SO... I put him and his mate into the retirement home. Looks almost like his normal loft but a tad smaller. They will be sitting on fake eggs.* (see below)

* The fake eggs will be pigeon eggs blown out and filled with a little bit of baby powder to have the right weight. I made three of them last night out of infertile hen to hen eggs. This way I can see if he will still be smashing the eggs or not. May not work but oh well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.