Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I doubt you'd remember but a long time ago I posted a thread about a pair of my Indian Ringneck Doves adopting a litter of mice...well I was asked to show pictures but I had computer issues back then and didn't get around to posting them. Well here they are!

---

For those who haven't heard the story: This strange event happened after a big storm came across my area during the night. The next morning I came out to inspect the damage. What I found however was not what I expected. Dash was on the avary floor nesting...so I went in there to look and as I lifted up Dash I found a litter of babies. I couldn't believe my eyes. I had never seen anything like it before...

The mice must have been flooded out and took their babies to higher ground during the night. Dash must have seen them in the early hours of the morning and had flown down and adopted them. What amazed me even more was what I saw him do next. As soon as one of the babies moved he would lower his head and open his beak...he tried to feed them as if they were his own! I couldn't bring myself to kill them so I left them...the following morning I checked again however the parents had come back and taken them.

---

Below are the remarkable pictures my cock bird, Dash, nesting on the litter of mice, the number of mice in the litter and Dash trying to feed them.

019.jpg

020.jpg

018.jpg

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Wow, what a sweet and good natured dove you have there.
Sometimes they want to be parents so bad they will adopt any creature.

Reti

·
Registered
820 Posts
UNBELIVEABLE! Thanks alot for posting,sharing this. I just shared with my whole family, every1 really liked it. :D peace.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I might NOT have believed this if it were not for the pictures to PROVE it! WOW is all I have to say!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
That is wonderful. Pigeons are the most amazing animals.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Wow that bunny/pigeon article was amazing! :eek: good to know these sorts of things with pigeons and doves do happen elsewhere and that its not just my doves that do such a thing. But has anyone on this site had this happen to them? I can understand if female pigeons or doves adopt such things ... but a male bird?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Wow! Maybe you can use that dove as a foster parent someday. It has a very strong maternal instinct.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts