Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I wanted know what time do you feed your pigeons? Because I have breeders and when I feed them sometimes the hens are on the eggs,the cocks are on the eggs, and they mix and match. So 3 hens might be sitting on eggs and 5 cocks might be sitting on eggs also. So I wanted to know what time should I feed them where both the hen and cock could both get food, but at seperate times because I want to train trap train them and its hard to keep them hungry becuase sometimes 3 hens or 5 cocks are left out from getting fed.

·
Registered
858 Posts
For my breeders seed is present with them all the time, for my flying birds only once a day and its like 4:00 pm or somewhere around

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Breeding birds should have plenty of food and water available all the time. As should just weaned, growing birds.
Generally, pigeons eat two times a day...morning and then again late afternoon. If you are only feeding them one time a day, you aren't feeding them enough.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Breeding birds should have plenty of food and water available all the time. As should just weaned, growing birds.
Generally, pigeons eat two times a day...morning and then again late afternoon. If you are only feeding them one time a day, you aren't feeding them enough.
Charis , im having problems with the balance of feeding my birds, i have 43 currently and feed them 40 odd ounces before letting them out in the mornings giving them time to digest a little ( about an hour) , im getting very klittle flight out of them less than 5 mins before they come down looking for more food.one or two are overweight granted as ive a couple of greedy birds but cant fathom out why they wont exercise, should i startr basketing them for their fitness or am i doing wrong with their feed , jeff.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
A pigeon flies naturally for food, If a pigeon does not need food it doesn't fly, Cut there morning feeds down slowly giving them the difference in the afternoon, Eventually cut it out completely and just feed them after their fly, As late as possible, That way in the morning they fly and fly and then wait around for food time.

·
Registered
858 Posts
If they are not fed enough they will not be flying well or go out of condiition which is not a case with my birds but still i will try to research this, There are not few but hundreds and thousands of breeders here who are feeding there flying pigeons only once a day

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I always feed my birds twice a day and i never fed them before i let them out to fly . this way when i blew my whistle when it was time to come in they came down and trapped fast

·
Registered
816 Posts
my birds are coming down almost straight away is this because im feeding too klittle or too much and they are lazy ? are they out of condition as i can see no visible signs , no heavy breathing , good plumage etc .

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Charis , im having problems with the balance of feeding my birds, i have 43 currently and feed them 40 odd ounces before letting them out in the mornings giving them time to digest a little ( about an hour) , im getting very klittle flight out of them less than 5 mins before they come down looking for more food.one or two are overweight granted as ive a couple of greedy birds but cant fathom out why they wont exercise, should i startr basketing them for their fitness or am i doing wrong with their feed , jeff.
Do you also give them 40 + oz an the evening? What is the fat content, and the protien content of your feed.
Dave

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Hello guys, I wanted know what time do you feed your pigeons? Because I have breeders and when I feed them sometimes the hens are on the eggs,the cocks are on the eggs, and they mix and match. So 3 hens might be sitting on eggs and 5 cocks might be sitting on eggs also. So I wanted to know what time should I feed them where both the hen and cock could both get food, but at seperate times because I want to train trap train them and its hard to keep them hungry becuase sometimes 3 hens or 5 cocks are left out from getting fed.
What kind of birds do you have? I don't let my breeders out, and I keep a high protien pellets for them all the time.
Dave

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I don't no much about highflyers but why would you want to take a chance losing them while they are on a nest. I would wait till you have the young off them out and have them on dummy eggs.
Dave

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you are only feeding them one time a day, you aren't feeding them enough

I Don't really think that is true.

For every 100 people who feed twice a day you will find 100 more on this forum that only feed once a day. It is pure preference, it's all about your birds health and how they perform based on your individual feeding schedule. I dont think there is any right or wrong answer here. To just simply say once a day is not enough, is vary vague,

Here is a quote from Warren on this same discussion awhile back...

I have had this same discussion with some real masters in the sport. Opinions will differ of course, but when it comes right down to it, I think it is the amount of feed, not how many meals it is spread out over.

Most will agree, that a racing pigeon needs to be kept lean, just like a long distance runner. The amounts to be fed, will depend on what is being fed, and how much work the birds are doing. Not, a whole lot different for humans.

If your birds are doing a lot of loft flying and some good road work, then they will need more quality and quanity of grain. I have found, that people will often transfer their own eating habits onto their pets. Ever notice an overweight person, with an overweight dog ? Same goes for pigeons. By the way, I am maybe a 100 lbs overweight, so I am not picking on overweight people here.

Many good racing people, will use barley or wheat with their YB's. It gives the birds a sense of being full, but is difficult to get real fat on stuff like barley. Overweight pigeons, will not race, plain and simple. If your birds are not trapping well, my money says that they are not hungrey, and thus are overweight. If they are not hungrey, they will not obey your signals. They won't know you.

I suggest reducing your feed amounts, and have them eat out of your hand. If they look at you with a dumb look... instead of jumping onto your hands, arms, shoulders, head...then they are telling you, "We ain't hungrey Jack" just leave the can and get out of here.

This is your signal to get out of there....but, take the feed can with you. Right now, your birds are the master, not you.

Measure out a teaspoon of feed per bird, and start from there. Adjust this amount down, untill they start to see you as the master !!

Before any Champion crosses any finish line in life, he must first win the event in his mind. And if he thinks he can't, then most assuredly, he will not.
- Warren Smith

·
Registered
816 Posts
Do you also give them 40 + oz an the evening? What is the fat content, and the protien content of your feed.
Dave
I give them 40 oz in total, half in morning and half at night, it is called Buxtons all year round mix and has brown ,green and white peas, maize and wheat in it, it is known as a very good feed, i have friends who switch to just brown peas in the winter as there cheaper although i like to feed mine this all year as it has most of there needs.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I feed twice a day

AM routine : Between 0830 - 0930 hrs generally

PM routine : Between 1630 - 1730 hrs mostly

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
If you are only feeding them one time a day, you aren't feeding them enough

I Don't really think that is true.

For every 100 people who feed twice a day you will find 100 more on this forum that only feed once a day. It is pure preference, it's all about your birds health and how they perform based on your individual feeding schedule. I dont think there is any right or wrong answer here. To just simply say once a day is not enough, is vary vague,

Here is a quote from Warren on this same discussion awhile back...

I have had this same discussion with some real masters in the sport. Opinions will differ of course, but when it comes right down to it, I think it is the amount of feed, not how many meals it is spread out over.

Most will agree, that a racing pigeon needs to be kept lean, just like a long distance runner. The amounts to be fed, will depend on what is being fed, and how much work the birds are doing. Not, a whole lot different for humans.

If your birds are doing a lot of loft flying and some good road work, then they will need more quality and quanity of grain. I have found, that people will often transfer their own eating habits onto their pets. Ever notice an overweight person, with an overweight dog ? Same goes for pigeons. By the way, I am maybe a 100 lbs overweight, so I am not picking on overweight people here.

Many good racing people, will use barley or wheat with their YB's. It gives the birds a sense of being full, but is difficult to get real fat on stuff like barley. Overweight pigeons, will not race, plain and simple. If your birds are not trapping well, my money says that they are not hungrey, and thus are overweight. If they are not hungrey, they will not obey your signals. They won't know you.

I suggest reducing your feed amounts, and have them eat out of your hand. If they look at you with a dumb look... instead of jumping onto your hands, arms, shoulders, head...then they are telling you, "We ain't hungrey Jack" just leave the can and get out of here.

This is your signal to get out of there....but, take the feed can with you. Right now, your birds are the master, not you.

Measure out a teaspoon of feed per bird, and start from there. Adjust this amount down, untill they start to see you as the master !!

Before any Champion crosses any finish line in life, he must first win the event in his mind. And if he thinks he can't, then most assuredly, he will not.
- Warren Smith
Mike you took my comment out of context. This is what I said...

One teaspoon of food a day is not enough.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
A teasp. a day is starvation, or close to it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts