Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the symptoms? I think my 1 year King pigeon has one, but I can't tell. The vet said they had to do an x-ray, and then they'd have to operate. It will cost a minimum of $200 to take her in, and I just don't have the funds to cover it.

She's breathing heavy and sitting. Not sure the last time she ate.

What should I do?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I'm sure others will join this thread and help you sort it all out. The very first thing is you need to really know if there is a egg that won't come out (egg binding) the only symptoms I know are the bird is real still and in time begins to walk funny and posture is wrong--but the experts will come on and tell you about all of this....You need to get a clear diagnosis if this egg problem first and the avian vet doesn't necessary have to do an xray to diagnose. One thing they can do to usher it along if it is just early in the game is to give the bird a shot of calcuim and this usually works--believe it or not--its not tums we are talking about but a vet shot of calcuim and keep the bird really warm on a heating pad--low set --with a soft towel on top-- and raise the humidity up real high with a spraying some water or a tub of water near by and some people I know give the pigeon a few drops of cod liver oil in its mouth to try to lubricate it---I would not fool with its cloacia at this time----thats vet business and it is fragile and you don't want to upset the arrangements for the 2nd egg to pass it this is egg binding but first you need to have a good diagnosis------I am a lay person----and people will be following me on this thread that will offer suggestions and help you....Good luck to you ..c.hert

1 - 5 of 5 Posts