Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a bird which I thought might have canker. I gave her Ronsec for 10 days (i.e 5 tablets). Some symptoms disappeared or improved after about 5-7 days but for the rest of the treatment her condition did not change much so I stopped the treatment.

It's been around 2 weeks since then and in that time I gave her Nystatyn but she did not respond to it, maybe even got slightly worse. I am wondering if I am to restart the canker treatment, whether I should give her just Ronsec as before or another canker med needs to be added to prevent resistance to Ronsec. Also, can some symptoms of canker (in particular, inflate neck for a short time after eating) remain after the amount of trich has been brought to normal? I would really appreciate your advice on this. Many thanks

I have consulted a vet but she did not come up with any particular diagnosis and prescribed diluted povidone iodine in drinking water for a month. I've never known any people experienced with pigeons use this, also in avian med books I looked at povidone iodine is used externally only so for now I still have not treated my bird using this method.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Not sure it is from canker, so not sure, but if going to treat again, I would use Metro. But if you don't have that then you can try again with the Ronsec. Pigeons do need some iodine in their system. Here are some links to some info on it, and you can google it also.

http://forum.pigeonbasics.com/topic/43563-canker-and-iodine/
https://www.pigeonracingpigeon.com/videos/video-giving-iodine-to-your-racing-pigeons/
https://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f14/lugols-iodine-40623.html
https://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f14/iodine-in-water-58457.html
https://www.jedds.com/shop/morning-bird-liquid-iodine-2oz/

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jay3, thank you for replying. Is Ronsec considered a stronger meds for canker than Metro? If so, will it increase the chance of resistance if I've already treated with a stronger med and now switch to a milder one?

I am not so sure it's canker either and therefore still reluctant to give her more meds.

My bird is on pellets and they contain iodine so she's already provided with it. I am looking at the links on iodine in your comments to read more about it as a treatment.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
No, Ronsec isn't a stronger drug. Just a different drug. Different things respond to different drugs. I have always had very good results with Metro. Sometimes one drug works better, and sometimes another one does. Sometimes people have used two drugs. I wouldn't use iodine to treat canker.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, Ronsec isn't a stronger drug. Just a different drug. Different things respond to different drugs. I have always had very good results with Metro. Sometimes one drug works better, and sometimes another one does. Sometimes people have used to drugs. I wouldn't use iodine to treat canker.
Thank you :) I will try Metro then if I am to restart the treatment.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hi Howl,

I just want to tell you what my vet explained me about the use of povidone iodine (Betadine 10%).
He told me to apply it inside the mouth/throat in case of canker (even in case of yeasts): you have to dip a Q-tip in it then gently and carefully "paint" the mouth/throat twice a day.

As alternative to Betadine he suggested me Éosine 2%.

I also want to add that some vets suggest to apply them, others don't agree.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi Howl,

I just want to tell you what my vet explained me about the use of povidone iodine (Betadine 10%).
He told me to apply it inside the mouth/throat in case of canker (even in case of yeasts): you have to dip a Q-tip in it then gently and carefully "paint" the mouth/throat twice a day.

As alternative to Betadine he suggested me Éosine 2%.

I also want to add that some vets suggest to apply them, others don't agree.
Thank you for letting me known, Colombina. I did not know about its use for canker but there's a Betadine 0.25% spray that is used for human to kill yeast, bacteria and virus in the mouth and throat.

In my case there are no visible canker plaques in her beak or throat though, and the vet suggested to use povidone iodine in drinking water instead of just applying topically.

EDIT: turns out, PVP iodine is used in the treatment of trichomonal infection in human :) According to Wikipedia:
Consequently, PVP-I has found broad application in medicine as a surgical scrub; for pre- and post-operative skin cleansing; for the treatment and prevention of infections in wounds, ulcers, cuts and burns; for the treatment of infections in decubitus ulcers and stasis ulcers; in gynecology for vaginitis associated with candidal, trichomonal or mixed infections. For these purposes PVP-I has been formulated at concentrations of 7.5–10.0% in solution, spray, surgical scrub, ointment, and swab dosage forms.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
You are welcome 😊.

I have never heard about its use in drinking water but since I met my vet I use to apply it topically in case of canker or yeasts.

Anyway, how is the bird doing?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are welcome 😊.

I have never heard about its use in drinking water but since I met my vet I use to apply it topically in case of canker or yeasts.

Anyway, how is the bird doing?
Thank you for asking. Her crop has not made any improvement, but at least she is gaining some weight, unlike the previous month when she ate a lot but hardly gained any weight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi all. I have a bird which I thought might have canker. I gave her Ronsec for 10 days (i.e 5 tablets). Some symptoms disappeared or improved after about 5-7 days but for the rest of the treatment her condition did not change much so I stopped the treatment.

It's been around 2 weeks since then and in that time I gave her Nystatyn but she did not respond to it, maybe even got slightly worse. I am wondering if I am to restart the canker treatment, whether I should give her just Ronsec as before or another canker med needs to be added to prevent resistance to Ronsec. Also, can some symptoms of canker (in particular, inflate neck for a short time after eating) remain after the amount of trich has been brought to normal? I would really appreciate your advice on this. Many thanks

I have consulted a vet but she did not come up with any particular diagnosis and prescribed diluted povidone iodine in drinking water for a month. I've never known any people experienced with pigeons use this, also in avian med books I looked at povidone iodine is used externally only so for now I still have not treated my bird using this method.
I've found some vets don't know much about birds. I am lucky because I found a good vet who is good with birds. You can get the best treatment for Canker which is Metronidazole (Flagyl) from your local doctor. Metronidazole should be followed up by ACV for seven days. Important is to feed pigeon with birds' baby formula (Kaytee hand feeding formula), or even Weet Bix cereal mixed to a paste to help bird to avoid starvation. I found that pigeons with canker cannot chew or swallow grains or seeds and they get water in their crop. As a preventive, buy Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) from your local supermarket (the "Mother" version) and put it in your pigeon's drinking water @ 5ml per litre water per day for seven days. I don't know about povidone iodine so I would avoid that – doesn't sound right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts