Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I need some advice. For the last 5 or 6 yrs I have been a bird magnet. Fortunately, I have had some really good luck w/ rehabbing/saving about 10 or so. About 10 months ago I found a pigeon w/ a pretty severe puncture wound in his chest & a broken wing. I took him to my vet, treated him w/ antibiotics & kept him in a confined area (med sz cat carrier) for 6 weeks per my vet's instructions. This worked twice before when I found broken wing pigeons. They began excersing their wings at about 4 weeks and by the 6th they made it clear to me they were 'ready to go' And 'go' they did! One even came back to eat for a few weeks. This last one has not been so lucky. So hubby built a very nice lg cage for him. He is quite the character! Well 5 weeks ago, I found another one. His wing is also not doing so well (which puts me into the 50/50 chance category my vet referred to) Dr said that there should not be a problem putting them together. I set Sunny's carrier next to Newport's home & they seemed to really like one another (at least that's what all that chatter sounded like) But when we tried to put Sunny in w/ Newport, it was a bit chaotic. Now, granted we panicked right away and got Sunny out (as in 30 seconds or so!) Newport chased Sunny all around and started biting too. Please tell me this will subside and we just panicked too soon! We don't mind letting them live here, but I'm not sure how many cages we can build! Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thank You....Crystal

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Well it could be they are both males, but I've also had cocks and hens squabble when I first put them together and even two hens will fight if one is perceived as "invading" the other's territory. How big is your cage? Even if it seems roomy for one pigeon, it may be uncomfortably close quarters for two. Do you have room to build them a proper loft? Because if you're a bird magnet I've a feeling more pigeons will come your way. ;) Allow about 2 square feet of space per bird and more perches than pigeons and you should be ok. There does seem to be a minimum requirement. We started off with a nice outdoor hutch-style aviary that was approximately 4 feet by 3 feet. I found that only two pigeons could live in it without fighting.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
You can't put one or the other bird inside the others carrier, you may have two males, or just one, but males will get very defensive about their territory. Put them in a large area that is nuetral territory, let them get used to each other in a large space, they will learn to get along, just give them time and space. Make sure to always be there when you allow them time together, until they settle the dominance issue, or mate-if the gender issue is male and female.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts