Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, all. Well, our pigeon named Mo is now named Molene. For whatever reason, we thought Molene was a male. She laid a couple of eggs over the weekend. Goes to show how much more I need to learn about pigeons. I didn't realize a female could lay eggs without a male. Obviously they can, they're just not fertilized. I quickly looked up what to do with the eggs, but wanted to be sure you all agree. I read the eggs can be removed if done so immediately, otherwise we should let her sit on them for 18 days (unless one cracks, then replace it with a fake egg). We decided to let her sit on them. She's being so good taking care of them, we don't want to deny her the opportunity to care for them. Assuming this is advisable, when the 18 days are up, is there a tactful way to go about removing the eggs? I mean, do we just distract her and take them? Also, she makes very few appearances outside the enclosed portion of the loft. She stays on the eggs most of the day coming out only occasionally, and briefly. Wanted to be sure that's normal.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Leave the eggs so that she can sit on them. If removed, she will just lay again, which wouldn't be good for her. Wait till she tires of sitting on them and is out and about, then you can take them. She will eventually have more. With a mated pair, they would take turns on the eggs, but because she is alone, she has no choice but to stay with them. Keep food and water near her to make it easier for her to eat and drink. Maybe you can encourage her to get out a little by setting up a lukewarm bath for her. She may like that. Make sure she has enough calcium, as egg laying can be taxing on their calcium stores if they don't get enough. Oyster shell is good, if they eat it. I like CalciBoost a couple of times a week.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Good day, all. Well, our pigeon named Mo is now named Molene. For whatever reason, we thought Molene was a male. She laid a couple of eggs over the weekend. Goes to show how much more I need to learn about pigeons. I didn't realize a female could lay eggs without a male. Obviously they can, they're just not fertilized. I quickly looked up what to do with the eggs, but wanted to be sure you all agree. I read the eggs can be removed if done so immediately, otherwise we should let her sit on them for 18 days (unless one cracks, then replace it with a fake egg). We decided to let her sit on them. She's being so good taking care of them, we don't want to deny her the opportunity to care for them. Assuming this is advisable, when the 18 days are up, is there a tactful way to go about removing the eggs? I mean, do we just distract her and take them? Also, she makes very few appearances outside the enclosed portion of the loft. She stays on the eggs most of the day coming out only occasionally, and briefly. Wanted to be sure that's normal.
Hey!
Mo to Molene..eh? Amazing transformation...jus kiddin':)
As of precaution you may replace the egg with fake ones so they don't break or something and the cage doesn't get messy. Other than that she will eventually abandon them. It may take longer than 18 days for her to abandon them cuz she's inexperienced and young. The longer she takes the better. And when she leave them, take them out of the nest.
Don't give your hen extra calcium cuz that will make her lay again and again. Just take care to give her balanced diet so she gets what she needs not more than it and avoid keeping her there where (if)mirriors are around.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
She will lay anyway, and will need the calcium. Calcium doesn't make them lay more. That is an old wives tale. Lack of it can cause her big problems as she will eventually deplete herself of calcium. She could even become egg bound and die. She doesn't need mirrors to make her lay, as she is probably viewing one of the family as her mate, and is laying for them. Once she has started laying, she will probably keep laying.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I talked about balanced diet already,extra calcium means extra that is not needed. And this is for sure,given extra calcium lone hens lay more...
And that was just a precautionary tip to keep her away from mirrors. Cuz I have two big mirrors on the parallel sides of my room.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
It isn't extra calcium that makes hens lay. Just doesn't work that way.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi, you're up early today!

I've personally experienced this for numerous times. I had a young lone hen which wouldn't sit her eggs. She had repeatedly laid thrice in 3 weeks time. When I've stopped giving calcium to her she got fine. Not only this, I've experienced this with several hens.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I'm always up early. LOL. Just don't usually have the time to be online.
I'm sorry, but that isn't conclusive that it was the calcium causing her to lay. And not going to argue with you.
Just telling the poster that their hen has started laying, so will probably now continue to lay, and therefore needs enough calcium, which they need to supply her with. Giving a healthy diet would include giving calcium and D3, without which she could run into problems.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If your hen is laying that much then stopping her calcium could do more harm than good.
If she stopped laying, then don't believe it was because you stopped the calcium. Hens low on calcium do still lay, and that's when they run into trouble.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hate to go off the tread makers subject, but that many eggs in a short amount of time means multiple hens, that may even be paired together. Calcium does not make more eggs, it only allows them to be laid and the hen to stay healthy doing it. I'm not convinced all the eggs are from one hen.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I know, I thought of that too, but I don't know how long the first 2 were left in with her before she laid more.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Thanks for your valuable advice.
She's doing great now after I stopped giving her supplementary calcium pills. She hasn't laid in 2 months now. She happily...sadly I don't know but coos in her small pen. But I have to keep her alone. She flies more than 8 hours without any "special diet" that we prepare for pigeons. Maybe that was the way to handle some of my hens. This hen in particular was giving me a hard time because she wouldn't sit and take the least 18 days rest. But now she's quite healthy and has put on nice weight/condition.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hate to go off the tread makers subject, but that many eggs in a short amount of time means multiple hens, that may even be paired together. Calcium does not make more eggs, it only allows them to be laid and the hen to stay healthy doing it. I'm not convinced all the eggs are from one hen.
This bloodline occurred accidently in my loft few years back while trying to test pair some of my old prisoner breeders. They're highly prolific. If you doubt, you may go back in history and check the thread I started by the name of Prolific pair or something like that, in all the threads started by me.

I want to release this hen in an upcoming competition so she's cared for individually in a pen where other birds aren't allowed to enter:cool:

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I want to share with all the members that I used to find 15-20 eggs on average weekly on the floor of my loft from around 25 eggs when I used to give surplus calcium and stuff. Maybe our mod re lee remembers the conversation we had in a thread on this topic.

But when I BALANCED THEIR DIET hens have laid very less. Excess of everything is bad, same goes out for calcium. More of it even cause egg laying problems so I've experienced.
Holla

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Calcium reserve should not make a hen lay, or lay more. But would help the hen lay smooth eggs and not get extra health problems. Most hens lay because they want to nest. And most with out a mate lay less. If your hen laid 6 eggs over a short time. Then this may e why she is now not laying. But the more a hen lays the more she needs calcium. Any way this thread was about a person bird laying. the bird may sit the eggs or may not. Not providing any nest after this can help prevent the bird from wanting to nest. Any way pull the eggs after she stopps sitting them.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
If your hen is laying that much then stopping her calcium could do more harm than good.
If she stopped laying, then don't believe it was because you stopped the calcium. Hens low on calcium do still lay, and that's when they run into trouble.
I never removed any of her eggs because trust me sometimes I can be unbelievably lazy. And sometimes I just don't do things I shall be doing. I hate that about myself+ I was very busy past couple of weeks as those members know who have PMed me regularly,sorry guys. And I have no idea why I didn't remove her eggs maybe on this day for things to occur like this. ;):)

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Calcium reserve should not make a hen lay, or lay more. But would help the hen lay smooth eggs and not get extra health problems. Most hens lay because they want to nest. And most with out a mate lay less. If your hen laid 6 eggs over a short time. Then this may e why she is now not laying. But the more a hen lays the more she needs calcium. Any way this thread was about a person bird laying. the bird may sit the eggs or may not. Not providing any nest after this can help prevent the bird from wanting to nest. Any way pull the eggs after she stopps sitting them.
As I've proclaimed before, some pills of calcium is all it takes for her to lay again. And trust me, not only with this hen in particular I've experimented this with many of my hens.

Sorry for making your thread messy, WilliamH4

·
Registered
88 Posts
If I were you I would swap them out as soon as possible after laying for dummy eggs because it could get a bit nasty trying to do it when she finally abandons them they are good to eat fresh there is no point in wasting them if they're infertile they could get bad if she's keeping them warm and sometimes the shells can go fragile if they are starting to go rotten and ain't nobody got time for dat ��

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
For those who think they know exactly how much calcium should be supplied to pigeons should give a thought to wild pigeons. They don't get any supplementary calcium but they still keep laying and raising over and over again. If we think we know what is and how much is needed for pigeons we are just blocking our imagination.
Whoooops!

Oh, ring a bell! I remember that thread I think our member LisaNewTumbler brought up on an article which revolves around the same sublect posted in sticky threads on PT. Sorry, this subject is interesting to me cuz I've experimented on this a lot.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts