Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help i have lost my fantail hen who had two babys

I have lost my fantail who had two babys that are 2 days old the father is sitting on them now but there is no sighn of him feeding them WHAT TO DO? shall i hand rear them or wait until the morning to see if she has returned:confused:

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
what can i feed my baby pigeons that are days old i was thinking of crushing some seeds and mixing it with water and giving it to them is that ok or not
where are the parent birds?.. if they can do it that would be best..if you have to handfeed because they are orphaned then you will need kaytee exact hand feeding formula.. it is not as good as the pigeon milk they get from the parent birds, but is what is used for handfeeding babies.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the mum has not returned home tonight and she never usally goes away from home and she is a fantail and not a very good flyer i saw her with feral pigeons in the morning when i last saw her

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
if they are let out then things like this can happen.. best to keep breeders that are on hatching eggs and or babies locked in. Im not sure that they have kaytee exact formula in the UK..but let them be with the father he may feed them fine esp if he is sitting on them.. check their crops about midmoring and see if there is food in there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so if the dont have food for a day but the father is sitting on them they wont die will they, i just checked there crops and they are empty and its around 8 o clock evening

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
so if the dont have food for a day but the father is sitting on them they wont die will they, i just checked there crops and they are empty and its around 8 o clock evening
as long as they are warm they will be fine through the night.. if the crops are still empty midmorning then you will have to handfeed them formula... they need to be warm before the hand feeding or the crop will not digest right. how old are they?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Can you not feed them and then put them back with Dad, as long as he is keeping them warm?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
im not sure but i think he will get bored after a few days if the hen dont return and abandon them
I have found that Dad DOES get bored, so I end up taking the babies in. Here are pictures of how I feed and instructions. (sorry about the layout, my PC died and I lost all my bookmarks :( ) Hope this helps
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f5/hand-feeding-babies-made-easy-36768.html
I use Kaytee Exact Hand feeding formula. I cut the nipple half way down, making the hole big enough for them to slip their beak in to. I cut the finger off a (stretchy type) rubber glove and slide it over the nipple, cutting a slit over the hole (just helps to surround their beak for less of a mess!).
Very easy and quick to feed this way and the babies except it readily...even babies just a couple days old, it's the closest feeding method to 'mom'. Make sure formula is warm (not too hot!), and thick runny pudding consistency.
I keep all my babies on a heating pad (set on LOW and covered with a towel), then form a 'nest' with fleece on top of that.
Feed them just enough so that their crop is like a 'squishy balloon'. I usually have to feed them 3 times a day, 6-7am - 1-2pm and I try to do the last feeding around 7-9pm. That gets them thru the night

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have found that Dad DOES get bored, so I end up taking the babies in. Here are pictures of how I feed and instructions. (sorry about the layout, my PC died and I lost all my bookmarks :( ) Hope this helps
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f5/hand-feeding-babies-made-easy-36768.html
I use Kaytee Exact Hand feeding formula. I cut the nipple half way down, making the hole big enough for them to slip their beak in to. I cut the finger off a (stretchy type) rubber glove and slide it over the nipple, cutting a slit over the hole (just helps to surround their beak for less of a mess!).
Very easy and quick to feed this way and the babies except it readily...even babies just a couple days old, it's the closest feeding method to 'mom'. Make sure formula is warm (not too hot!), and thick runny pudding consistency.
I keep all my babies on a heating pad (set on LOW and covered with a towel), then form a 'nest' with fleece on top of that.
Feed them just enough so that their crop is like a 'squishy balloon'. I usually have to feed them 3 times a day, 6-7am - 1-2pm and I try to do the last feeding around 7-9pm. That gets them thru the night
tHANK YOU VERY MUCH AND I SHALL TRY THIS METHOD

·
Registered
379 Posts
That method by msfreebird is great its really easy
I think Waynett's method is the easiest. I have had to use it on a few babies. Thank goodness she was there to guide me through the process. Without Waynett's help I would have been totally lost and I am sure the outcome would have not been as good.
Waleed, how are the babies doing?

·
Registered
1 Posts
what can i feed my baby pigeons that are days old i was thinking of crushing some seeds and mixing it with water and giving it to them is that ok or not
That would likely work but what i did was went to the vetrinarian clinic and got kitten weening formula and i am in the same spot as you are.... They also say you can use kaytee exact bird formula or Nutribird... Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
That would likely work but what i did was went to the vetrinarian clinic and got kitten weening formula and i am in the same spot as you are.... They also say you can use kaytee exact bird formula or Nutribird... Hope this helps
Think they will be eating by themselves now, after all, they are 5 months old by now ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts