Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to look at racers...really look at them. I'm seeing so many differently built birds my head is spinning.
I'm seeing concave backs, convex backs, long necks, short necks, wings that curl and the tips rising over the tail, and those that run directly in line with the tail....the list goes on and on. All subtle differences, but certainly some traits must be more desirable in the sport than others? I understand overall balance, but there is so many subtle differences within that...I don't trust that I would know exactly what it is that I'm looking for.

What exactly do you guys look for in your birds? What jumps out at you and makes one bird superior to another?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I think in differnt strains they can have different looks, it just depends on what you like, some are small and some are large with large wattles, I do not think one has advantage over another, I think that comes in individual birds of any strain that you fancy. I tend to think the Jansen birds are pretty, they seem to have such slick feathering and small bodies, I just like the way they look.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Good birds come in every shape and size :) Racers originate from English Carriers, Dragoons, Smerles, and Horsemans, so there's possibility for a lot of different traits depending on what individual breeders have preserved (whether on purpose or not). Certain things can effect aerodynamics and such, but there's so much other stuff that goes into winning birds, that it is really hard to just go by looks. I think the main thing to look for in racers, is the race results, since in the end that is the ultimate goal.
I've seen some very long Carrier-like birds, big stocky Dragoon-like birds, and then the short stubby ones and just overal tiny birds. All seem to race well in one place or another, and it does appear that certain sizes make a difference depending on the type of course they'll be flying. But I'm nowhere near experienced enough to give you any advice on that. One thing I can tell you, is that the bird needs to be healthy, fit, balanced, and motivated to come home. You can also talk to people in your club/combine and look at winning birds from your area. From there, you may (or may not) be able to connect some dots and see what kind of physical traits are common in the winners.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Wow, you know this was my first year and I was just happy if I was able to tell my birds apart LOL! You keep asking questions like this and your gonna whoop me come racing season :D

There is someone on here, I believe Becky/MaryofExeter? that has a drawing of different wing types for different distances.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Yep, I drew up some wings for each distance. It's floating around here somewhere in the homer/racing section. It was a rough picture, haha. But it illustrates the wing theory of the width and length of primaries and secondaries, as well as gaps and steps. It's a fact that it can effect how the bird flies, but it may or may not make a big enough difference, since I have seen some good birds at distances with the 'wrong' wings.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Yep, I drew up some wings for each distance. It's floating around here somewhere in the homer/racing section. It was a rough picture, haha. But it illustrates the wing theory of the width and length of primaries and secondaries, as well as gaps and steps. It's a fact that it can effect how the bird flies, but it may or may not make a big enough difference, since I have seen some good birds at distances with the 'wrong' wings.
yes that was interesting, I liked it. also how the bird feels in hand is what alot of flyers do, not sure what it is, but some folks have a gift of picking good birds just by holding them... I would not be one of them...lol...:)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Yep, the feel of them is something that is important to me personally. But it's something that I can't possibly explain. When I pick up a bird, I go through a routine looking at it and don't even realize it sometimes, LOL. I just somehow know what the heck I'm looking at/feeling, and know whether I like it or not.

·
Registered
240 Posts
yes that was interesting, I liked it. also how the bird feels in hand is what alot of flyers do, not sure what it is, but some folks have a gift of picking good birds just by holding them... I would not be one of them...lol...:)
Going by that I'd have to say mine is the one I can't get my hands on! LOL! My one and only combine winner was a tiny little hen who always made sure she was the last one to be basketed EVERY time!

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I'm starting to look at racers...really look at them. I'm seeing so many differently built birds my head is spinning.
I'm seeing concave backs, convex backs, long necks, short necks, wings that curl and the tips rising over the tail, and those that run directly in line with the tail....the list goes on and on. All subtle differences, but certainly some traits must be more desirable in the sport than others? I understand overall balance, but there is so many subtle differences within that...I don't trust that I would know exactly what it is that I'm looking for.

What exactly do you guys look for in your birds? What jumps out at you and makes one bird superior to another?
Where I would look for first is the race sheet, the diplomas, and the money won. Any bird that has a few of these looks really good. I do not remember who said it but they stated that if your birds win thats the key. And if they also look good that is a bonus. It does make it easier if they look good though.

Take a look at ganusfamilyloft.com. This is probably the best collection of world ace pigeons. There is nothing consistent as far as looks in any of them. I have birds I like the looks of and some I do not. If they win thats what I look for.

Randy

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Yes, results are the most important. I like a certain feel also but that can't be discribed on here. What I can tell you for me. I like a bird with the vents close to the back of the keel, a longer keel but not deep, tight vents, soft feather, the end flights very flexiable, a nice looking eye with good movment, a short forearm and a single tail feather. I did an experiment this year and I went through all my yb's early in the season and judged birds by 1-4 stars and after the season was over the ones that did well almost ever one had either 3 or 4 stars. People can develope a feel for what works for them. Now, I don't think if I judged someone elses birds I could pick what works for them. Everyone is different and lots of factors make the perfect bird different for different people.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Bella, this is by far the thing I have the hardest time with. There are so many different ideas. I agree with ohiogsp, you have to find what works for you. Mostly by trial and error. There are a few guys in my club that pay someone to grade their birds or pick out the best breeders. I have thought about doing that but I don’t think that will help me learn anything.

I'm stuck now trying to decide what birds to pair up. For me in my area to be competitive I need to pair the birds up Dec 1... I'm looking at three main things this year as I pair my birds,

1. Eyesign (many people feel it is crap, many feel it is important)
2. Balance or how the bird handles (what the heck does that mean? I go to my loft in the dark and catch all my birds, without looking at band numbers. I came up with a list of birds that just seemed to feel like the birds the guys at the club are winning with)
3. The last for me this year is I'm looking for long narrow flights.

I don't know if I am going the right direction or not. This is my first attempt at pairing birds. If any one has any suggestions I'm all ears.... Thanks

If you use eyesign and would be willing to help please look at my pictures on my blog I have all my cocks and hens on there. I’m still trying to make heads and tails of all this stuff… www.pigeonflapdoodle.com

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hehe...I figured as much. I was hoping there was something like the breed standards for the AKC out there for pigeons...not so lucky.

General consensus seems to be that it is a matter of hands on experience. I guess I'll be winging it until I have some.

Thank you for all the input. I appreciate everyone's advice:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts