Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of trap is better for racing pigeons with the Electronic Racing Timers? The Belgium Drop Trap or the Swinging Bobs trap?

I do not want trap shyness as my youngsters do not want to come through swinging bobs. Also with a hinged so that I can release the birds through the same opening. And also wit a varmint blocker board, so I can close after birds have returned.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I use both a swing bob trap and a drop down trap. The drop down trap is larger about 3 feet long. If I want the birds in quick the drop down trap works great. The way mine is made is I have a door with hinges on the top so the door can just hang down. I have a piece of wood that holds the door open at the bottom just large enough to let the birds in. Hope that makes sense. 5 or six can drop in at a time, with the swing bob trap it is one at a time at least the size I have. If you are racing then you have to make sure all birds get clocked so the pad should be large enough.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I also use bob wires, I put the young birds in a cage outside the bobs " before they eat". I then put down the food and blow the whistle. You should train your YB's that when they hear the whistle there will be food for them.
After you put the food down "walk away" ! They will figure it out by watching the others. There are always the brave ones to go in first " the first ones might prove to be your best race birds".

·
Registered
312 Posts
What type of trap is better for racing pigeons with the Electronic Racing Timers? The Belgium Drop Trap or the Swinging Bobs trap?

I do not want trap shyness as my youngsters do not want to come through swinging bobs. Also with a hinged so that I can release the birds through the same opening. And also wit a varmint blocker board, so I can close after birds have returned.
As to the timer placement....you will place the antenna pad against the bobs or the drop in type trap on the landing board on the outside of the loft and the birds will kinda get up on the pad and look in through the trap which ever one you use. At first you WILL have trap shyness until they get used to coming through them, again that's what training is all about. With bobs you have the ability to stagger them and when you are training your birds to trap you hold 2 up and leave 2 down and 2 up...this way the hole is bigger and they learn to go right on through them. I added a little piece of wire to the inside of the trap itself to hold up the extra bobs on mine and it works just fine. Of course all this training will be completed before you attempt to retrieve them from a race or even training tosses.

Also one more thing...it sounds like you are making your trap..if you buy a trap with bobs youll see it has the ability to be held up in the open position by way of a hold open bar to let them go out and then let the bobs be lowered down and the birds learn to come back in through the same opening.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts