Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people of pigeon talk. I need you're help.

A couple months ago I bought a pair of Peaceful doves from my local pet shop in hopes I would breed them and sell them. I was checked the birds out thoroughly for any faults and was satisfied with my choice (I wormed them too). They were successful breeders. Within a couple weeks of putting in the nest, the hen laid a couple of eggs. Time passed and I waited patiently for them to hatch. Sure enough they did and I had two helathy babies....or so I thought.

They grew fast, and we're nearing ten days of age (their quills started to open up). I would check on them often. Everything was fine. Then one day something felt terribly wrong. I saw both the parents off the nest...suspcious, i checked on the babies...and there they were...lying side by side, dead.

I was shattered. :( I couldn't figure out why. I went through just about every illness in the book...looking, looking, looking. The parents were looking after them as expected, they still had food in their crops. It was just so bizzare for both of them to die like that...so I come to you guys to ask for you're oppinion.

I am thinking it might have been canker after I read that the parent birds do not have to show sign of illness. Some are effected, others act as carriers. In this case they must have been carriers as they have shown no signs of illness and apparently if they are, (when feeding the chicks) will pass it onto the chicks. I also read that this is sometimes the cause for chick death before they reach ten days.

Do you guys reckon this is the case? If so, how can I treat Canker? I found out my all wormer doesn't cover it. :(

Please, I don't want anymore chicks to die...any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
sorry to hear that this once happened with my love birds, 4 babies very heathy but on the 7 or 8th day all were dead and both parents were off the nest. i asked everyone, all my senior persons they told me it was water not given at time, i dont know what to tell but there was water with them. may be a little less.

i gave away that pair after that incident to one of my friends now he has breeded around 8 pairs of chicks with out any loss

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hello people of pigeon talk. I need you're help.

A couple months ago I bought a pair of Peaceful doves from my local pet shop in hopes I would breed them and sell them. I was checked the birds out thoroughly for any faults and was satisfied with my choice (I wormed them too). They were successful breeders. Within a couple weeks of putting in the nest, the hen laid a couple of eggs. Time passed and I waited patiently for them to hatch. Sure enough they did and I had two helathy babies....or so I thought.

They grew fast, and we're nearing ten days of age (their quills started to open up). I would check on them often. Everything was fine. Then one day something felt terribly wrong. I saw both the parents off the nest...suspcious, i checked on the babies...and there they were...lying side by side, dead.

I was shattered. :( I couldn't figure out why. I went through just about every illness in the book...looking, looking, looking. The parents were looking after them as expected, they still had food in their crops. It was just so bizzare for both of them to die like that...so I come to you guys to ask for you're oppinion.

I am thinking it might have been canker after I read that the parent birds do not have to show sign of illness. Some are effected, others act as carriers. In this case they must have been carriers as they have shown no signs of illness and apparently if they are, (when feeding the chicks) will pass it onto the chicks. I also read that this is sometimes the cause for chick death before they reach ten days.

Do you guys reckon this is the case? If so, how can I treat Canker? I found out my all wormer doesn't cover it. :(

Please, I don't want anymore chicks to die...any advice you can give would be much appreciated.
Coming from a shop like that there is really no telling what they may have been exposed to. Canker would certainly be a possibility. Was there any sign of trauma at all? I think I would probably separate the birds for about two weeks and make sure whatever it may be that they had has had time to run its course. I would treat them for canker as well as worm them again. I would also vaccinate for Pox and PMV. Then maybe put them back together and see what happens.

So sorry you had to go through this. Unfortunatly, as we all know, when you are dealing with raising living things of any kind, sooner or later you are going to have to deal with this side of it too.

Dan

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I would guess perhaps these two, one which is the same as canker.
Streptococcus infection, Trichomoniasis , before breeding it is good to treat for the canker. and cocci, deworm and breed when the molt is over, also the protein in the feed needs to up a bit and a good quality feed and calcium grit. all those things and you should get healthy babies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts