Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a male and female who have recently paired up (3 days ago) and i was just wondering with their babies will look like

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
There are always uncertainties with threads like this as we do not have all the info.

Assuming no uncommon genes are in the mix you will get checks, It is possible you will get bars also but this will only be the case if the check carries the bar gene. Do you know the parents of the check? If one of them was a bar then we could give you certainties.

For example, If one of the parents of the check was barred then we would know he carries the bar gene and in this case All babies from this pair would be blue, Half would be barred and half would be check carrying bar.

The other gene common in homers that is recessive and could pop up but is unlikely to would be smokey

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are always uncertainties with threads like this as we do not have all the info.

Assuming no uncommon genes are in the mix you will get checks, It is possible you will get bars also but this will only be the case if the check carries the bar gene. Do you know the parents of the check? If one of them was a bar then we could give you certainties.

For example, If one of the parents of the check was barred then we would know he carries the bar gene and in this case All babies from this pair would be blue, Half would be barred and half would be check carrying bar.

The other gene common in homers that is recessive and could pop up but is unlikely to would be smokey
sorry i have not seen both of their parents can you give me a rough idea of what their hatchlings might look like

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Like I said, You will definitely get checks, Maybe get bars. All blue. Unless some unknown factors are at play. So two options, they either all look like dad, or it will split 50/50 with half looking like dad and half mum. That all depends on whether the cockbird carries the "bar" gene.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
you may get red check. its a possibility if your cock or hen carries red gene.
Hi Sev,No red in these two birds if there was they would show it, as red is dominant over blue and brown. The hen carries only one color gene and she will be the color of that gene, in this case she is blue so that is all she can pass to her off spring. While the cock can carry two color gene he will show the dominant color. Here again if he carries red he would show red,if he does carry a second color (blue or brown) it will show as black or brown flecking. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Sev,No red in these two birds if there was they would show it, as red is dominant over blue and brown. The hen carries only one color gene and she will be the color of that gene, in this case she is blue so that is all she can pass to her off spring. While the cock can carry two color gene he will show the dominant color. Here again if he carries red he would show red,if he does carry a second color (blue or brown) it will show as black or brown flecking. GEORGE;)
hi everyone i have noticed that the cock does have one white flight feather oh his right wing. will the hatch lings carry this white flight feather as well?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like I said, You will definitely get checks, Maybe get bars. All blue. Unless some unknown factors are at play. So two options, they either all look like dad, or it will split 50/50 with half looking like dad and half mum. That all depends on whether the cockbird carries the "bar" gene.
Thank you :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey everyone good news the hen has laid two eggs and it now has been 11 days i will keep you guys updated
thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
hi guys, good news one of their eggs has hatched today and i am waiting for the other one :):)
You will get nothing but blue checks and blue bars. You will probably get more checks than bars and if one of the bird has a white flight, it is possible for the youngs to get white flights as well.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What happened to their wing feathers? Looks like they are clipped. Did they nest on the floor?
this is an old photo i bought them from a guy who clipped their wings but now they have grown back :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
hey guys these are the birds now :) the hen is the one sitting on the squab and egg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts