Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I was wondering what's a good distance to start YB's? have some whites and grizzle. The Grizzle's parents were raced and one first place in numerous events,but the whites parents were just loft flown.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Some start at 40 miles. Some start from he front yard. It is one of those pigeon racing decisions that each flyer has to make. There is no right answer.

I think that for a new flyer, the shorter distances are best. I like the 1-2 mile suggestion, but only once. Then I would go 5 miles and then 10 miles. But that's just me. AFTER they have been routing for a couple of weeks.

Routing means that they are let out of the loft, and they fly around without you taking them somewhere and releasing them from another location. Routing can mean that they keep circling near your home, but usually means (and this is best), that they disappear from your sight for anywhere from one half hour to two hours. Usually only twenty to thirty minutes though.

Just make sure they have been routing very good before you take them somewhere and release them though. This is extremely important. If you rush them, you could lose all of them in one day.

Remember....Patience

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I don't get something. why would some start at 20-40, and then others at 1-2?
That is matter of prefference-the more you become expereinced and know your birds and how their training is going-then you can make such decision, but I would start taking them one to two miles first.

Routing is when your pigeons fly off one or another distance. They will go exploring in either south, west, east, or north direction each day. They will be gone an hour or more at a time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts