Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the best thing to do with a downed racing pigeon is? If the bird seems fine other than being very hungry, is it best to get it transported back to the owner (assuming you can find them), or do you let it rest and eat for a while and let it go again? Should you just try to find it a home elsewhere? Some people say that because it didn't finish, that the owner may not want it back or won't allow it back into the flock. I don't know. I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but every time I try to do a key word search, I get a blank page.
Thanks

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
IMO, the best thing to do is first, try to find the owner and contact them. SOME, but not ALL will not want the bird back. It IS their bird though and they should be given the chance to get it back if they want it.
Any time you contact the owner of a lost race bird, make it VERY clear that if they do NOT want the bird back, you are willing to keep it OR find it a home.
As far as releasing them.........there's lots of factors that play into that decision and considering the birds life is at stake, it's not a decision that should be taken lightly. (IMO)
If the bird is 50 miles from home, there's a good chance it will make it home. If it's 200 miles from home, the chances go down. Then it depends on whether the bird is a young bird or an old bird.
Young would be a current year bird. Anything from "last" year or earlier is an old bird.
My motto is "when in doubt,....don't".............;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts