Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Think Somethings Wrong With My Pair Of Rollers, They Had 2 Batches Of Eggs But Never Hatched....Then After That They Never Had Eggs Again....
Should I Seperate them And Find a new pair for them???? what should i do?
Any Suggestions???

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
I Think Somethings Wrong With My Pair Of Rollers, They Had 2 Batches Of Eggs But Never Hatched....Then After That They Never Had Eggs Again....
Should I Seperate them And Find a new pair for them???? what should i do?
Any Suggestions???
Are you sure they are a real pair and not two hens?

Were the eggs fertile - and if so, was there a chick dead in the shell?

Do they get plenty of calcium?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
were they fertile? here is some info when trying to figure things out with fertility..

Fertile male / fertile female = two fertile eggs except when the sperm is blocked from reaching the egg
Fertile male / infertile female = zero eggs
Infertile male / fertile female = two infertile eggs
Infertile male / infertile female = zero eggs
Fertile female / fertile female = four infertile eggs
Fertile female / infertile female = two infertile eggs
Male any / male any = zero eggs

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
And the presence of paratyphoid can cause infertile eggs or death in the shell with any boy/girl pair. It only takes one infected bird to cause issues with breeding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you sure they are a real pair and not two hens?

Were the eggs fertile - and if so, was there a chick dead in the shell?

Do they get plenty of calcium?

Yeah they both are real pair. the 1st batch only one was fertile but cracked. the 2nd batch one was fertile but then after day 10, i checked it there was no more veins in it.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Are they sitting on them properly? It's getting colder in most places, so if they stay off too long, that can kill the eggs. How old they are would be helpful to know. Do they appear sickly at all? Anything abnormal about the droppings?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are they sitting on them properly? It's getting colder in most places, so if they stay off too long, that can kill the eggs. How old they are would be helpful to know. Do they appear sickly at all? Anything abnormal about the droppings?

Yea they were, it was during October...not really that cold. No they dont look sick, they've been looking healthy and always eating good, the droppings are the normal, its thick and solid.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Since they are young, it could be inexperience. Especially if they hadn't been allowed to breed before. Try trimming the feathers around the vent as well. That will allow a better 'connection' when mating. I know a lot of the fancier breeds have very thick 'butt fluff' that gets in the way and keeps the eggs from getting fertilized. If nothing else, it was worth a try and can't hurt anything.
A reason for them not breeding now is the days are getting shorter. Pigeons are more motivated to start breeding in the spring, when they have more hours of daylight. So they tend to slow down a lot in the winter.
If this problem of infertile eggs and in-shell death continues, I would suggest getting a fecal test done for paratyphoid. It can isolate itself in the sex organs and pass on to the eggs/kids (if they hatch, a lot of them may die or be sickly soon after hatching). Otherwise, the parents look perfectly healthy. It can be passed to other birds and cause the same problems in their eggs if you don't catch the problem and correct it (or try to).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts