Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what is wrong with this pigeon? This is a baby pigeon which comes to our balcony and kitchen and likes to stay there all the time except for evening. I feed them grains 3 times in a day and they fight a lotttt.

Here is the pigeon:

Also this pigeon has been pooping a lot(mostly they are green one), is it because he over ate or is it normal? Also this pigeon makes a very cute squeaky sound and doesn't get frighten if I try to touch him unlike other pigeons.

Also most of them are very dirty and some fly insects are on their body so I avoid touching them as I might catch some disease. So please help this pigeon to get normal :( (sorry for my poor english)

Location - Kolkata, India.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
This poor little guy looks like he has pigeon pox -- it's a virus. His poops are probably frequent and green because he is sick, and also possibly very hungry.

If you could catch him and take care of him, he'd have a much better chance of survival. Pox isn't contagious to humans, just to other birds. You can use a mite/lice spray for birds to get rid of the bugs. There really aren't very many diseases that people can catch from pigeons.

If you could keep him safe, warm, and fed while he recovers, he'd certainly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Once a bird has it, it just needs to run its course. There are a few topical medications that can cause the lesions to dry up a little faster, but they do nothing to treat the actual virus. Warmth, rest, and support are the best things one can do for a bird with pox.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Aww the poor darling. He just needs some tender loving care.

If you are able to catch him, and give him a place to heal, that would be good.

A box with a towel wrapped over a warm water bottle, give him food (a mixture of rice (<brasmati rice is good>, buckwheat, sesame seeds, millets, etc), fresh clean water, a place to bathe, and lots of affection (optional).

He will recover in no time! And then you can release him back to the wild!

Make sure you keep changing the water in the bottle (and to keep the temperature in the box constantly warm) to improve his healing process.

And don't worry, pigeon pox isn't infectious for humans. Pigeons are harmless. They won't hurt you.

As for the lice/mites, as Mini has mentioned, do get some birdspray from a bird shop (parrot spray is ok too) and spray on the pigeon (avoiding the eyes and nose) 3 times a day. Also spray on the box and towels too. Make sure the spray is safe for birds (NOT insect spray ok!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Miss-Sassypants for your concern :) but he is showing no sign of any improvement, infact the pox has spread now near to his eyes and he can hardly see anything. I am trying to make sure hes keeping good, feed him regularly and keep him away from other pigeons but the pox is just spreading to his eyes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also it rained very heavily two days back(very unlikely at this time of year) and he may have got wet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts