Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the parent pigeons will start bringing the babies seed to peck at before they can fly, but will they eventually need a water source, too, or will the parents handle that until the babies can fly?

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Well, they still receive their hydration from the parents while the parents are still feeding them. They learn to drink water after they fledge, by observing their Parents or rest of the Flock doing so.

So if you have a baby which is weaning off of wet food, then you can begin to introduce them to water by dipping their beaks ina shallow bowl (just make sure their cere doesn't submerge). After a few tries of this, they usually catch on. You can then dip their beaks 2-3 times/day, and after a few days you should notice they will go to the bowl all by themselves.

Hope that answers your Q.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, they still receive their hydration from the parents while the parents are still feeding them. They learn to drink water after they fledge, by observing their Parents or rest of the Flock doing so.

So if you have a baby which is weaning off of wet food, then you can begin to introduce them to water by dipping their beaks ina shallow bowl (just make sure their cere doesn't submerge). After a few tries of this, they usually catch on. You can then dip their beaks 2-3 times/day, and after a few days you should notice they will go to the bowl all by themselves.

Hope that answers your Q.
So as long as the parents do their thing, I don't have to put a bowl of water in the nest or anything (seems like it would get messy or be a hazard since keeping the nest dry is supposed to be important).

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'm guessing you have water in the loft. what happens to my birds the young jump out of the nest and follow the parents around on the floor and see where they get there food and water

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
oh one more thing don't freak out when the hen goes off and lays 2 more eggs and sits on them . when the hen does this the cock takes over all the feeding

1 - 5 of 5 Posts