Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chauncey and Clyde have been sitting on their dummy/wooden eggs for 21 days now. This morning, I noticed the vocalizing and mating behaviors starting up again. But Chauncey is still sitting on her eggs in the nest box. She did spend a few extra minutes off the nest today -- more than she has in the last three weeks.

When is it okay for me to remove the dummy eggs and clean out the nest box? Will they completely abandon the box for a while? Will it be obvious?

Once they're ready I'd love to give it a good cleaning, including removing it from the cage for a while to do so. And I want to make sure I do this before they start sitting on eggs again.

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Yes, by all means, you can clean the area now. Pigeons do actually appreciate clean living areas. I would return the dummy eggs after cleaning them and put them back and see how they react. They may be frustrated because there has been no hatchings and may just abandon the dummy eggs and try to "birth" again.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, by all means, you can clean the area now. Pigeons do actually appreciate clean living areas. I would return the dummy eggs after cleaning them and put them back and see how they react. They may be frustrated because there has been no hatchings and may just abandon the dummy eggs and try to "birth" again.
I'd do as Victor said.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so even though Chauncey still sits on the eggs . . . remove the nest box and do a big cleaning?

This is my first nesting cycle with a pair of pigeons. When do I remove the wooden eggs?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Okay, so even though Chauncey still sits on the eggs . . . remove the nest box and do a big cleaning?

This is my first nesting cycle with a pair of pigeons. When do I remove the wooden eggs?
I usually wait until they are more out and about, and not bothering to sit on the eggs anymore. Some will sit longer, and a few will have their eggs right alongside the two fake ones. Sneaky! So if you don't clean it now, they could end up having two eggs in the nest with the 2 fake ones, then you'll be wondering how you're going to clean it now. LOL. This will get to be old hat after a while.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I'd say it's okay to clean now. Sometimes one bird will set a few days longer than the other - it varies with the pair whether it's the hen or cock. Rarely, a hen will be slow to come off the eggs because she isn't feeling well. I usually wait till the eggs are cold because neither bird is spending much time on them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Disposable Nesting Box Okay?

Thanks you guys. I ended up cleaning the box today. They were both spending most of the morning off the eggs. Clyde is completely done. Chauncey kept checking in. But the eggs were just sitting there for long periods.

I realized I should have had a backup. The box was so dirty, I had to scrub it in the bathtub. It's wood . . . so it's drying. And it's cold and rainy here, so it won't dry quickly.

I wish there was a way to clean it while they were nesting since it's important for us in this small space (and allergies) to keep the dust and dried poop to a minimum.

I quickly constructed a makeshift nest box from cardboard, filled it with the same soft fleece, etc. Clyde likes it, not sure if Chauncey is buying it yet.

I think I may try to find cardboard boxes that resemble our wooden nest box in size. That way, I can toss them at the end of the nesting cycle and just replace with a brand new, identical box. In our apartment setting, that might be more practical.

Can you think of any downside to a disposable nesting box? Do they become attached to a certain box? Or just the location and setup within the box?

And . . . does anyone here have a great, miracle setup indoors that allows you to clean out the nest a bit without disturbing the occupants?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Thanks you guys. I ended up cleaning the box today. They were both spending most of the morning off the eggs. Clyde is completely done. Chauncey kept checking in. But the eggs were just sitting there for long periods.

I realized I should have had a backup. The box was so dirty, I had to scrub it in the bathtub. It's wood . . . so it's drying. And it's cold and rainy here, so it won't dry quickly.

I wish there was a way to clean it while they were nesting since it's important for us in this small space (and allergies) to keep the dust and dried poop to a minimum.

I quickly constructed a makeshift nest box from cardboard, filled it with the same soft fleece, etc. Clyde likes it, not sure if Chauncey is buying it yet.

I think I may try to find cardboard boxes that resemble our wooden nest box in size. That way, I can toss them at the end of the nesting cycle and just replace with a brand new, identical box. In our apartment setting, that might be more practical.

Can you think of any downside to a disposable nesting box? Do they become attached to a certain box? Or just the location and setup within the box?

And . . . does anyone here have a great, miracle setup indoors that allows you to clean out the nest a bit without disturbing the occupants?
You could buy two nest bowls, and that way you can take one and replace with the other. Just make sure they are exactly the same bowl. And some people buy the disposable nest bowls, then you can just swap it out and throw it away. Either way is easy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I've got is a wooden nesting box I bought at the feed store. Unfortunately, the feed store is closed today and I didn't think this through before I removed the box and cleaned it. It's still wet. I could pick up another nesting box tomorrow. It's about $30. I couldn't afford to spring for two at the time I bought the first one. In the meantime, I've got that crappy, makeshift box in its place. This is a photo of the original box.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Okay. I went to your page and checked out the nest box. Cute, but $30?
You probably could have used a nest bowl, or maybe pick up a couple of plastic boxes, cut out a little door in the middle of what would be the front. Easy to clean, and they wipe dry. That thin wood is going to warp and not last very well if you keep soaking it. I wouldn't spend $30 on another one. When I need a nest box or bowl in a cage, I use a plastic box. They're great as they come in so many different sizes. And only cost probably 2 or 3 dollars. It doesn't need to have a roof. You have a blanket over the top of the cage. Cozy enough. Just buy 2 or 3 identical plastic boxes. I put newspaper on the bottom, then add the straw and stuff. That rubber shelving stuff that comes on a roll is great under the straw. The floor of the plastic box isn't slippery for the baby, but you're not breeding, so just put newspaper on the bottom of the plastic box.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Jay, so . . . I just use one of those plastic organizational boxes (with the front cut out) and they will use it . . . even without the roof? That's good to know. I thought they liked to be tucked in. This was our first nesting cycle and we weren't sure.

btw: I know I paid too much for that box. We were so unprepared for our situation, leaving on a trip, I had to scramble to find a nest box for this newly mated pair, and didn't have much idea of how they would use it or what we would need.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
In a loft, they would be in a nest box, In your house, their cage IS like a large nest box. I see that you now cover the top. Well, that is a roof. And you now have the cloth on a couple of sides. Very cozy. It's just like a big nest box. The plastic box would be like a nest bowl. There you go! And it would be comfortable for them. It's nicer than what they would have to use in the wild. They won't mind at all. The covers on their cage will give them privacy and make them feel "closed in" enough. So easy to clean and dry. And CHEAP! But you can clean and disinfect plastic. Wood......not really. So much better and easier. It's what I use, and no ones ever complained. LOL. The sides will make them feel secure. They'll like it just fine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much, Jay. Do you know the dimensions of the plastic boxes you use?

(They're starting to use the cardboard I put in there, but haven't laid any eggs. Just getting into their next mating cycle. Okay to switch out the box before the eggs come? I guess they'll let me know how they feel about it.)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The size of the box you were using is good. Or something near that. Look for a nice fairly sturdy one. There are so many different plastic boxes out there. You have so many choices. Believe me, you'll love it. You can even use a nest bowl, but the boxes work fine. Believe me, they're not as fussy as you think. We are the ones that make it complicated, by over thinking it. LOL.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Oh, I forgot to answer about the size I use. I use different sizes. If I have to bring a baby inside to hand raise, for some reason, I start with a small one, then change to the larger one after they have grown some. It's now an exact science. Your instincts will help you. And yes, you can change to the plastic one, before the eggs come would be best.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Wood takes a long time to dry if you clean it with water - better to just scrape it off. Cardboard boxes would work fine for your situation, use once and compost/trash. Right after they come off the nest is the best time to switch. You usually have a window of 7-10 days, depending on the pair. Generally the hen will adjust within several days.

Single nest boxes are usually either 12" x 12" or 15" x 15", depending on the size of the bird. They like cozy but with enough room for their body and tail. Location and set up are key. If you move the nest box over 3' most birds would abandon the eggs.

Regarding interim cleaning, I use cheap wooden chopsticks to pick the poops from around the nest every morning. The birds seem to feel that is less intrusive than if my hands are closer. You can even use them to gently raise the hen to check for eggs. :)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Wood takes a long time to dry if you clean it with water - better to just scrape it off. Cardboard boxes would work fine for your situation, use once and compost/trash. Right after they come off the nest is the best time to switch. You usually have a window of 7-10 days, depending on the pair. Generally the hen will adjust within several days.

Single nest boxes are usually either 12" x 12" or 15" x 15", depending on the size of the bird. They like cozy but with enough room for their body and tail. Location and set up are key. If you move the nest box over 3' most birds would abandon the eggs.

Regarding interim cleaning, I use cheap wooden chopsticks to pick the poops from around the nest every morning. The birds seem to feel that is less intrusive than if my hands are closer. You can even use them to gently raise the hen to check for eggs. :)
The nest box is inside a large cage that they live in, so they don't really need a nest box, just a nest bowl or small box to nest in. The cage serves as a nest box.

·
Registered
754 Posts
nest boxes

I have been trying something new this year, at work we get in supplies that are boxed in 18x18x24 boxes and disgard them after use, I decided to cut them in half and using a drywall screw and washer hang them on the wall for the birds to nest (Fake eggs) and when they are done I simply replace it, no washing no scrubbing and completly degradable. Now I have the room to let it pile and rot so for me its not a problem, for those who only have a few I would not think it as a problem to put one in the trash once in a while>kevin

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
So how dirty do you let it get before discarding them? I'd rather have something sturdier that I can clean. I like a clean loft.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts