Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I have had some luck w/ rehabs in the past.....but now I have a pigeon that I rescued about a year ago. He seemed 'squished' and had breathing difficulties, broken wing, etc. In the last three months he has made amazing progress. He is VERY proud, no longer looks 'squished', breathes almost normal & can even fly!!!! I put him in a small tent for some excercise & I couldn't believe it! BUT - after two flights of less than 20 feet, he was absolutely breathless. I don't mind keeping him, but he is wild. Is there a general amount of time that I could leave him in the tent for 'strength training'? Any help would be appreciated.....

cb

·
Registered
610 Posts
please do not release this pigeon. You say the pigeon breathes almost normal and gets breathless after two short flights of less than 20 feet.For this reason the pigeon is disabled and disadvantaged and will struggle for survival out in the wild without a friend.

All your good work and efforts to help this bird will probably be undone if you release it.

If you feel you cannot keep this pigeon perhaps you could put the pigeon up for adoption here on the forum.

The pigeon could well end up as a meal for a hawk if it cannot escape predators because it has breathing difficulties.

Please consider rehoming in to an aviary. Jayne

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Jayne is right--this pigeon cannot be released. Please post on the Adoption Forum if you can't keep him. And if you do want to keep him, you shouldn't feel bad about it. It's not against the law to keep a feral pigeon as a pet because they're a non-native species. They've lived in captivity for thousands of years. If he's lonely you can always get him a companion--there are plenty of pigeons out there in need of homes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When can I release

Don't worry - I would Never release him w/ the input from both of you. OK - We have another one that shares a huge pen hubby built - they can't live together cuz they fight really bad......I also have a dove that looks like she will not rehab either - I feel bad for her, as she is obviously very unhappy....hubby is currently buildng a larger home for all three (yes - I mean relly large!) So......when I put the dove in to excercise w/ one of the pigeons, he was picking on her.............I have a Gambel's Quail (saved him as a NEWLY hatched chick under my shed after feral cats ate the parents, he was the only egg that hatched) & a Japanese Quail (my Vet thought of me when someone brought her in - oooohhh) Anyway, it seems that the quail & dove get along - but those pigeons are Awnry (?) geeeez! Do people really have any luck w/ adopting out pigeons? I would be worried......

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hello thank you for your reply. It is wonderful news that you are prepared to look after this poor pigeon for life, as it truly needs a friend to protect and care for it.
Good luck with the new build. Perhaps you could post a picture when it is finished.
Jayne

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When can I release

Well, Thank You, Jayne for your input. Please don't worry either - when we commit to our critters, it's for the rest of their lives.....but, I must say that Sunny does NOT think of me as his 'friend' & frankly neither does Newport (our other resident pigeon Living w/ us for 2+yrs) They both are agressive towards us - we try give 'em lovin', & I am sure they do not fear us, but they are quite the characters w/ their proud strutting, biting (actually latching on) I just hope they are somewhat happy. At the risk of wearing out my welcome, can you give me any advice re the dove? Her wing was a 'compound fracture' and is obviously going to prevent her from ever flying again. I've had her for about 6 months now - she is very fearful, tries Constantly to 'get out' by fluttering around in her cage (which is about 4ftx2ftx2ft) Hopefully when we move her into the large Taj Mahal quarters she might settle down? I can tell she (her name is Rawhidey) is very depressed.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Pigeons and doves shouldn't be housed together, as you have discovered. What type of dove is she? And where are you located? Your best bet may be to find someone else with a special-needs dove that needs a companion. Doves are happiest with other doves and unless very tame can become quite depressed when housed alone. The larger cage should help calm her but I'm sure she would appreciate having a friend.

Your husband, bless him, sounds a lot like mine in his willingness to build more cages. :)

And it sounds like both your pigeons are cock birds.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hello I dont know enough to give you advice about your Doves compound fracture. Perhaps someone else out there could offer some sound advice??

In the meantime best of luck with all your feathery friends! They sound like they keep you on your toes but I am sure they appreciate your kindness.
Jayne

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When can I release

Hello - well our new loft is done! Move in day will be next weekend. We are gonna name it The Taj Ma-Loft! I could use ANY/LOTS of advice/tips on what kind of ground cover to use in their 'playpen' areas & also their 'upstairs main living quarters & even their beds! There are two pigeons & 1 dove. Each has their own 'unit' complete with living quarter w/ two perches (one w/ a bed box, and they also have a ground area complete with stairs for easy access. No pun intended, but hubby really 'winged' it on this build & it's seems like a fab home for our friends. I need to figure out how to post pics cuz I am so proud & happy of the new digs! But even links w/ ideas for interior decoration etc would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

cb

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Congrats on the new digs for your birds! Can you post a picture? I've found that the best litter is no litter. We have two main pigeon enclosures: a free-standing loft with a wood floor and the old aviary built between the house and fence which has a dirt floor. I scrape and sweep the loft floor daily. I used to use wood shavings in the aviary but they are very messy and hold moisture when it rains (my aviary leaks on one side). About six months ago I stopped using shavings. Now I rake the floor periodically to pick up dried droppings and feathers. I scrape all perches and other surfaces daily in both enclosures. There is very little odor.

I use hexagonal pavers to raise the water containers off the floors slightly and I put two 18" square pavers together in the old aviary to raise the feeder off the dirt. This helps keep the feed clean.

For nest boxes I use tobacco stems purchased from Foy's Pigeon Supply. I've tried different things but feel tobacco stems have the best insect repellent properties and they are clean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts