Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some homers that I will be passing on to a guy starting out a new loft. My YBs have almost all of their feathers in but are not eating on their own yet. My question is, is eating on thier own the benchmark that most of you use before removing a YB from your loft? If not what am I looking for before I pass on these YBs? As always, as a new guy, I appreciate all your help. :eek:

·
Registered
503 Posts
There are various ways to do it, some wait till the young birds are 25 to 28 days old, some look at the feather under the wing that once the young bird are fully feathered under the wing it is time to wean. I go by the feather under the wing I then separate the young bird and put them on my young bird loft and start the training process of learning the outside and knowing my call when its time to eat. When weaning the most important thing you need to teach the young bird is howto find the water. If you see a young bird with their eyes blinking it means that they haven't found the water, you need to grab this bird and dunk their beak in the water you will need to do this 2 to 3 times until the bird take a drink, next day keep an eye again on the bird until they find the water they will eventually learn where the water is and fend for themselve. Hope this help.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I like to make sure young birds have been eating on their own for at least one week, or preferably two weeks, before selling them or shipping them out.
I basically catch all the young birds that are out of the nest, that are of proper size and appearence and place them in pens away from their parents, with other young birds.
I check there weight every other day by feeling the keel and also check to make sure their crops are full.
If I need to, I hand feed them a little. I rarely have to.
If their weight and health is good after a week or two, I'll send them out to their new homes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts