Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 7 pairs in a breeding cage in my young bird section. They have young now in the nest. I want to move them into 2 other sections which has other pairs. Is it best to move them when they are sitting on the second round of eggs after I have moved their 1st round of young out?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
When you move parents on eggs or babies, they will sometimes abandon them.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Moving pairs on eggs or with feeding babies is not a good idea. I will say they nearly always abandon them.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I have 7 pairs in a breeding cage in my young bird section. They have young now in the nest. I want to move them into 2 other sections which has other pairs. Is it best to move them when they are sitting on the second round of eggs after I have moved their 1st round of young out?
No, remove them when they are done with last round, and are no longer feeding babies, or hatching or laying on eggs. Make sure the 1st ( and every) round is completely weaned before moving them out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I know it is not ideal. The parents will be feeding the first round with the 2nd round of eggs in the nest. I guess when I wean the first round I can try moving the parents with eggs. If they abandon the eggs I can throw them out and they can lay some more. I need the section the cages are in for young birds.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I guess when I wean the first round I can try moving the parents with eggs. If they abandon the eggs I can throw them out and they can lay some more. I need the section the cages are in for young birds.
You can move them if 2cnd round eggs have not been incubated or are infertile. There is no life in the eggs if they are not incubated. But you cannot just throw eggs away that are viable (chicks growing inside). Replace the real eggs with dummy eggs BEFORE they start incubating them and then you can move the couple/s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts