Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second time our avairy doves are nesting with eggs. The first time they got it wrong and babies didnt hatch after three weeks and when candeling later, there were no chicks inside.
If these ones hatch (hopefully as they seem to be doing things right this time) how soon can we handle/ tame them. The parents are a bit skittish and dont like being handled that much as weren't handled in the petshop(egypt) that we got them from, even though they are healthy and thriving with us.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You should be able to candle the eggs after 5 days and if you see veins inside the egg they are fertile, if not we give them another 5 days and check them again, and if nothing they are just not fertile eggs. Could be bad aim by the parents which is most of our modena pigeon's problems. Anyhow, once our baby modenas hatch we give them 2 days without much messing around because some of our breeders are very ornery when you mess with their eggs or babies. We wait a couple days because we had a parent stomp on a baby the day it hatched, when we were trying to check on the baby, and it died as a result. After 2 days my wife handles them daily to take photos, look them over, make sure they are being fed, etc. She will also trim nails of the parents during this time too. The babies seem to then much easier to deal with when they are adults because the handling takes place their whole life. They just get used to it. We have a hen and a cock that coo and strut at my wife like she is their mate and they were both handled in this manner. We have 2 pairs of birds that have each given us 3 sets of eggs and none of them have been fertile so we can't tell if they have bad aim or if there is a fertility issue. Good luck, hope your eggs are fertile this time around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Yes the babies both hatched but in Egypt at the moment, the nights are quite cold, and they both died ( sob sob) but they have now mated again and we have insulated the nest box so fingers crossed

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. We are in the northern USA and it gets down to 0 degrees F regularly in the winter, and my buddies have open lofts; but I don't know what they get for eggs in the winter. Our barn holds in 30-40 degrees so we don't worry too much about the cold. How many days did the youngsters live? The parents should be able to keep them plenty warm. Are these young birds that you have; like they are first time parents and don't quite know what they are doing? Many breeders hold off till birds are 1 year old before breeding, and practice makes perfect so it might take a few tries. Again sorry for the loss, it's never fun to loose an egg or baby.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were bought from a petshop in Egypt. It seemed like the first time they mated, they werent sure what they were doing really and it was quite comical to watch them. Once the female had decided at 3 weeks that nothing was happening with the eggs, she just stopped sitting on them. Male hardly did anything at all( just like a man) and didnt really know what was going on. The eggs were infertile first time. Last time he seemed to have more of a clue and they were nesting in shifts. It was still in the late 60's at night last time but on the third day of birth the temperature dropped a lot at night. Its like that in Egypt, one day hot next day colder. Theres no seasons really just hot and not so hot. But the nights get colder. Any way, there at it again and the billing and cooing is a lot stronger and louder and we have insulated the nest this time so perhaps third time lucky, lets hope 20201221_125442.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice birds. I did notice your nest box is open air below, and all around. I wonder if the cold air below the nest box floor is getting the eggs/hatchlings too cold. Maybe a thick floor (several inches) below the box or the box on the ground so it is insulated by the parents and the ground, and not cold air below taking the heat from the babies. Not sure if that would work in your space, but I would be nervous with an outside loft having cold air immediately below my babies with that fairly thin flooring material. Maybe it contributed to your recent loss, maybe not; just something I saw in your photo. Hope things turn around for you. We might have babies next week if all goes right. Take care.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts