Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to fly my birds for the first time from the loft. My question is what time of day i should fly them i feed them at 8 am and then around 4/5 pm. For the first flight what time should i feed them should i skip the morning feeding? any advice would be very helpful to a newbie like me thank you.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well, maybe I have enough experience now,(two months), to help you. My suggestion would be to only feed them about half of what you normally feed them at 8am, then fly them at 4/5 pm before feeding them. In other words, fly them hungry and fly them in the evenings at first. Here is my experience so far, and others with vastly more experience than me will chime in. I have noticed that my birds love to fly late in the afternoon/evening and I don't worry so much about birds of prey then because they usually have made their meals by that time of day. They fly well, yet when it is getting roost time for them, they don't tend to go off very far. When they start flying around lower to the loft, I start calling them with my whistle feed call and they swoop down and land close by. I let them see me put their feed in the feeder and put it in the loft and then I walk off a distance and sit down and they start settling down and go into the loft after piddling around on the ground and stretching their legs a little. they go in to feed and then rest. This is how my birds do it anyhow. I don't get excited anymore about whether or not they will go in, they will go in. If you have taken good care of them, they know where their food and water come from.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Well, maybe I have enough experience now,(two months), to help you. My suggestion would be to only feed them about half of what you normally feed them at 8am, then fly them at 4/5 pm before feeding them. In other words, fly them hungry and fly them in the evenings at first. Here is my experience so far, and others with vastly more experience than me will chime in. I have noticed that my birds love to fly late in the afternoon/evening and I don't worry so much about birds of prey then because they usually have made their meals by that time of day. They fly well, yet when it is getting roost time for them, they don't tend to go off very far. When they start flying around lower to the loft, I start calling them with my whistle feed call and they swoop down and land close by. I let them see me put their feed in the feeder and put it in the loft and then I walk off a distance and sit down and they start settling down and go into the loft after piddling around on the ground and stretching their legs a little. they go in to feed and then rest. This is how my birds do it anyhow. I don't get excited anymore about whether or not they will go in, they will go in. If you have taken good care of them, they know where their food and water come from.
Good advice. I know I used to get so upset when my birds wouldn't rush right in when I called, but I've gotten over that long ago. If they are trained properly, they will go in. And people seem to have this notion that if they don't trap right away during loft flying, they won't trap right away on race day, and I have not found that to be the case. Maybe the very first race, they sometimes land and have this "what the heck just happened" look on their face, but after that, once home, they trap pretty quickly. There's a BIG difference in loft flying and flying 100, 200 or 300 miles......once they've put in that kind of day, inside the loft is where they want to be and they'll pretty much make a bee line for the trap when they arrive home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts