Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few 09 hens that I would like to move into the breeding section to be ready to breed next season. Two of them have taken mates that will not be going to the breeding loft, and are currently sitting on dummy eggs.
I am assuming that it will take them some time to settle down and choose their new mates in the breeding section, so I thought that I should move them sometime soon so they have all winter to settle in and pair up with my breeding cocks.

When do you guys move your birds and what should I expect after breaking up these young pairs?

Thank you for any advice...I'm really trying to head into my first breeding season without any hiccups.:)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
If your breeding section has nesting boxes that a pair can be locked up in for a few hours, then that is most likely all it will take to have her fall in love with another male.

Doesn't always work that fast, but it shouldn't take more than a few days at most. Doing it now is probably way too early I think. There is lots to read concerning this on the internet and "they" can explain it better than I in this short posting.

But it is way too early IMO.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
not a good idea to lock up two and just push them together the hen could get beat up, you should put the cocks that you want to breed in the breeding section so they can squabble over the nest boxes and get settled, then you can put your chosen hens in with them, if you want specific hen with specific cocks then you can mate them up in a closed nest box, but that is after they can see each other though something like a partitian, and then let them be together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts