Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear friends i am planning to keep my pigeons in new cage dimension ( 2*2*3) for each pair...though i have one pair now sitting on eggs and prob they will hatch on 16th jan...you all know tat i am keeping them in bedroom i want to put them in big cage where they can flap their wings and i am ready with my cage too...when can i put the parents,the babies(which will be hatching) along with the nest bowl in the new cage...though i will be placing the cage in the same place where they had their nest box before....also i came to know tat they will start their second round of eggs approx.2-3 weeks after the first ones hatch...and i am planning to have their second round of eggs in the new cage...what can i do... pls suggest me...ur suggestions have helped me a lot,without which i cannot proceed in any decision making...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Spirit Wings is right Sundar.:)
If you want to place them in the cage, this is what I would suggest:
Wait until babieas hatch and parents get ready for second round. That means at least 5~6 weeks from today. When they start chasing youngsters out of the nest and hen lays next set of eggs, take the eggs out, replace them with fake ones. Wait first babies to be weaned, move them to the cage. Place youngsters in separate cage and parents in separate cage. If you put them together, they will fight. Watch babies to as you don't want them to fight too. I would have ready two bigger cages and one small.
If you move them in the cage now you will loose babies as they will abandon eggs. In every case you will loose one set of eggs, but it is better next ones as these are allready live.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Spirit Wings is right Sundar.:)
If you want to place them in the cage, this is what I would suggest:
Wait until babieas hatch and parents get ready for second round. That means at least 5~6 weeks from today. When they start chasing youngsters out of the nest and hen lays next set of eggs, take the eggs out, replace them with fake ones. Wait first babies to be weaned, move them to the cage. Place youngsters in separate cage and parents in separate cage. If you put them together, they will fight. Watch babies to as you don't want them to fight too. I would have ready two bigger cages and one small.
If you move them in the cage now you will loose babies as they will abandon eggs. In every case you will loose one set of eggs, but it is better next ones as these are allready live.
I agree, moreover you said you have 2 cages and want to keep the young ones also. Remember that if both babies turns out to be a cock or hen then you may not be able to keep them in one cage. If one turns out to be a cock and another a hen they may pair up after some months and can be put in one cage, but I won't recommend pairing up the siblings of the same hatch unless there is a definite compelling reason.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks friends...then i will wait for the babies both first & second round to hatch ..and then i will put them in cage...i know tat after hatching second round of eggs i will be with 6 piji's out of which 1 pair will be the parents...one of my close friend has asked from me a pair so i will give him the parent piji's once the babies are able eat on their own without depending on parents...so two cages for 2 pair but my confusion is will i be able to get 2 pairs from 2 set of eggs

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
You may or may not get pairs from 2 set of eggs. All combination of cock and hen nos. are possible. What I suggest is once the squabs grow up and sex is identified, exchange them with another breeder. Say if you have 2 pigeons from the first hatch, exchange one of them to make a new pair.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You can also foster them to another pair if available, and if it is an emergency, otherwise it would be best to wait. I was able to move a pair of mine to another nest box successfully last year, but I had to keep them locked up in the next box until the eggs hatched.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya ok shreesh i will do tat... let me wait then for both sets of babies to come out successfully and become independent...then i will put them in cage

1 - 8 of 8 Posts