Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well that is about the jist of my question, at what point is it ok to fly the ybs with the obs?:)

·
Registered
463 Posts
well that is about the jist of my question, at what point is it ok to fly the ybs with the obs?:)
I guess everyone here will have a different oppinion but this is what we have done before and it worked out well for us. FYI: We are a racing loft so this may make a difference in the answers you may get....LOL

We had some '08 Late hatches that had never been loft flown as I was gonna use them for stock purposes. Once we got into '09 breeding, we didnt need them at this time. So I desided to get them training with this years YB Team and hopefully use them in the '09 OB season.

Once the YB were flocking up and routing good one their own, I moved the late hatches over to the YB section and left them in there for 3 days. I then let them out with the YB Team. Basically, I wanted to insure that if they got to far out that it wouldnt pull the YB team as well as we are still two weeks away from our first training toss. We let the birds out twice a day and the late hatches are flying with the flock and staying put.

Once we get on the road, I will toss them seperate at first and pull them in with the YB team once they get out to 25 miles. My intentions are to train them like the YB's and I will send them to 3 race stations as a training toss as well. Then, put them on the OB Team with the survivors of this years YB Team.

Ive even done a few racers this way (due to a move) after holding them in for 8 monthes and it has worked out great so far. But if your not into racing, then I would say at anytime....LOL

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess everyone here will have a different oppinion but this is what we have done before and it worked out well for us. FYI: We are a racing loft so this may make a difference in the answers you may get....LOL

We had some '08 Late hatches that had never been loft flown as I was gonna use them for stock purposes. Once we got into '09 breeding, we didnt need them at this time. So I desided to get them training with this years YB Team and hopefully use them in the '09 OB season.

Once the YB were flocking up and routing good one their own, I moved the late hatches over to the YB section and left them in there for 3 days. I then let them out with the YB Team. Basically, I wanted to insure that if they got to far out that it wouldnt pull the YB team as well as we are still two weeks away from our first training toss. We let the birds out twice a day and the late hatches are flying with the flock and staying put.

Once we get on the road, I will toss them seperate at first and pull them in with the YB team once they get out to 25 miles. My intentions are to train them like the YB's and I will send them to 3 race stations as a training toss as well. Then, put them on the OB Team with the survivors of this years YB Team.

Ive even done a few racers this way (due to a move) after holding them in for 8 monthes and it has worked out great so far. But if your not into racing, then I would say at anytime....LOL
oh boy! thanks for all that info...lol... but you lost me there:D. no I do not race, so, I have these ybs to be let out today for the first time, I was wondering at what point can I put them with the obs and loft fly them with them, now keep in mind my birds are white homers and do not tripp....much if any, they flock and fly, but they do not go far unless I take them on the road. common sense was telling me when they start to fly well....just did not want to do this too fast.

G

·
hi ,with my whites as long as the young birds can fend for themselves I add them to the flying flock and as long as they are trap trained you shouldnt have any problems ...the older birds will actually keep them pretty close to home since most whites like you said dont really fly all that much around the loft ..sure when they take off for that first time its always nerve racking but I have lost very few birds this way ;)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi ,with my whites as long as the young birds can fend for themselves I add them to the flying flock and as long as they are trap trained you shouldnt have any problems ...the older birds will actually keep them pretty close to home since most whites like you said dont really fly all that much around the loft ..sure when they take off for that first time its always nerve racking but I have lost very few birds this way ;)
good to know Lakota, I trust your experience. they do trap good and know how to get back in, so...eeeps! perhaps they will go out the the flock this evening.....

G

·
I would give them a day or two in the new coop to settle in and find a perch before letting them out to fly ...then two days later would just open the door and see what happens :D

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would give them a day or two in the new coop to settle in and find a perch before letting them out to fly ...then two days later would just open the door and see what happens :D
I can open the door between the two sections right now and let them mingle, they have been here for two weeks or so, they are about 7 and a half weeks old,they can see the others as the wall are wire, they have been eating like the rest, they are just in the next section, I was thinking of just opening the middle to make both section availible, they may loose their perches they have picked though as the obs will take those up high.

G

·
thats the same as in my loft , only wire divides the breeding side from the flying side so they are always in the same building , the only thing is them going thru the pecking order thingy and once thats over I would say your good to go for the great outdoors .. the rest is the not spooking them part all over again but you know all about that lol ;)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats the same as in my loft , only wire divides the breeding side from the flying side so they are always in the same building , the only thing is them going thru the pecking order thingy and once thats over I would say your good to go for the great outdoors .. the rest is the not spooking them part all over again but you know all about that lol ;)
well I opend the door and my grizzle yb is already king of the top spot...go figure:rolleyes::)...yes the ol spookaroo thing....all dogs inside, no cars, tractors, yelling kids etc....you can only hope a leaf doesn't fall from a tree and look like the boogie man...oh! then there is the other featherd beings out there...ugh...it's a wonder we even let them out at all....LOL..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts