Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a mourning dove so i can cross breed with a rock dove, but where can i find one. My pet pigeon, Pover, went crazy in the courtmanship danse towards a white dove, but my white dove, Bove, wanted to mate with Biveon, my other pet pigeon. Now i think he is sad, so i think he might fall in love with a mourning dove.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Really...Pigeons and Doves don't mix well. The best would be to not get a Dove as a mate or a companion. For them to get along is an exception. Recently, I had a Dove rescue that escaped the cage and the Pigeons beat her up before I was able to secure her. It turned out ok but the Dove was injured and needed treatment.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
There are ringneck doves, which come in all kinds of colors, not just white. I agree, pigeons for pigeons and doves for doves is best. Although they can cross, it can be difficult to get that to work without someone getting injured or killing. There are other dove species you can buy, but the stock has been caught in the wild and imported over here - making them very expensive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried to get another rock dove for him and i trained her to come back and they use to fly around the neighborhood together. but then she started to attack him and then when we sent the birds off she never came back. Sometimes i would see her in the sky but she would just fly past us.
We also had another female rock dove, but none of the males were interested in her. When i got a white dove, the males went crazy with the courtmanship dance. The dove was gentle and over protective towards her chicks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the difference between a white dove and a king pigeon. They are both white through and through. even thier claws are white.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Rock dove is the technical name for pigeon, so white rock doves and white king pigeons are the same, basically. But you have to consider there are over 300 different breeds of domestic pigeons (including Kings), most of which can be solid white. So the different breeds will have different traits, sizes, shapes, personalities...even though they're the same color :)
As long as you have two pigeons together, the bred doesn't really matter - they'll bond and mate up anyway. Some are more shy, and others are more cocky and agressive. And then some are good parents, and some don't seem as excited to have a family. Just depends a lot on the individual bird.

Other than pigeons, there are ringneck doves, which also come in white. When people say dove, this is what most of us think of. So if you've been talking about pigeons the whole time, it looks like you've confused a few of us, haha :D Ringneck doves, mourning doves, and other dove species shouldn't be mixed with pigeons. The huge size difference can cause problems, plus the babies would be sterile.

For your pigeons, you could try adopting some of the king pigeons, or other pigeon breeds, that need homes at MickaCoo :) They'd make good pets and mates for your current pets.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
A dove and pigeon can mate and raise young BUT the young are most often allways sterile So they can not have and raise more. I have seen pigeon dove crossed birds That a person who used to raise game birds had a pen with ferals and doves together And he raised several cross over birds

1 - 11 of 11 Posts