Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I have no idea where to get them. Have never seen anything like them. It's almost like they've been painted. Beautiful birds. Originally from India, I think, but don't know of any breeders here in the states.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Chances of getting them are virtually zero, and you couldn't keep them in the same kind of setup you'd keep regular pigeons.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Yellow-Legged Green Pigeons are a species of fruit dove from India. Unless you live there, your chances of finding any are slim. They'd be very expensive to buy and expensive to keep up, with an aviary and lots of fruit.

But, this is the best place to find exotic pigeon and dove species.
http://www.softbillsforsale.com/softbills-sale.asp

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Oh these are green pigeons. Actually there are many types of green pigeons found here. All are beautiful,ofcourse;). They are not painted. I see small flocks of them flying over my rooftop at dawn and dusk. They eat berries,fruits,leaves and seeds. They fly very straight and fast like homers. I've seen them doing speed better than homers.
I have 3 enormous banyan trees near my place. When they produce fruit,hundreds of these pigeons in small flocks come to eat.
They are definitely not fond of humans. I'm really amazed to see them react with the person in the video. I had a little experience with them when I found their flimsy nest in a babool tree with 2 eggs. Oops,I took the squabs away(I was child back then) but squabs really didn't like me. Keeping them is really difficult with variety of fruits,nuts,berries,seeds and plants as their diet. They have a lot of attitude,its annoying. Mine never became fully tame. Not something like pigeons that makes them stand out in the crowd. I don't think green pigeons would come back if let out,mine never came and I raised them from when they were some 22-25 days old

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Wow...so their diet is fruit based??
Id love to get some I would pay ANY price.
Im assuming they have no cold tolerance?
I'm sure they can tolerate cold. Actually I live in northen part of the country and here cold is intense for 15-30 days. Right now we have 6•c as minimun temperature. Come december,it will drop to -15 on days with no sun at all for over a month. Fog grasps the atmosphere with visibility less than 10-15 feet. Many species of these pigeons live in the himalayan belt where there is a brief summer. Snow has already started to fall over there a month ago. Winters are lot worse. Yes in those days when trees give nothing to eat they move towards east but I'm sure they can tolerate cold

These pigeons are called "Hariyal" locally and some breeds also live in one of the driest states i.e, Gujarat. So these pigeons can adapt well.

What you showed in the video is definitely a cold tolerant breed

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
There is no reason but greed to take wild birds and keep them captive for shear enjoyment. I wish folks would just leave them be.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Based on my research over the past few days there ARE people who keep and breed these birds. I am very against taking a wild bird and placing it in captivity for the sole sake of being a pet.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just wanted to add. you can see why the pigeons in the video would not be able to fly away... => wings clipped. One way to make sure your bird is kept in site. unless it runs quick. lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts