Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody tell me where they might be going.
I have 6 young homers that I let fly almost every day.
They are gone from 15 min. to 3 hours.
However now , occasionally, they stay "out" over night and some for 2 nights. Then they are all back home.
What are they up to?
Can you even speculate what they are up to? :confused:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Pigeons are gregarious birds, i.e. they like to socialize with other pigeons. They probably have found another flock and probably are mingling with them. They may decide to join the larger flock, but if they are really homers I would be surprised if they did this unless they are not happy in your loft.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
They might be hanging around with ferals at night and might have found a place where they can rest,eat and enjoy. You need to stop this WhiteDove.
Lock them up for 15-20 days to break their habit,it may help. In this prison time train them to respond to feed call. Don't free feed if you are feeding that way. Feed them twice daily only the required amount of feed. Then let them out only when they're hungry.
That's why I always suggest letting YBs out with old ones when their eye color changes. Its a lot that YBs learn from OBs. If you have old birds let them out only with them after their prison time is over

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I Guess,homers would mingle with other feral flocks during the day.But its very unlikely they will roost with them at night on a regular scale in another place.Its just not a Homing pigeon trait.I assume they have started ranging and some may fly very far away that they get lost of the sense of direction and ended up flying to entirely different areas.But since they being homing pigeons,they will soon realize where is home and will get back to you.There is nothing to worry about,usually such birds which get lost during loft flying and who come back after a couple of days are tough to loose later,when you start road training them :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

"Can they keep up" Yes they fly very fast.
"Are they joining up with another flock". I think you have it right. I hadn't thought of that. One time a strange bird accompanied them home.
"Is your coop good". Yes but at ground level. The local pigeons prefer old silo roofs where they can live 40 or so feet up.

They are gone for 3 1/2 hours now. We shall see who returns tonight.
Probably take days for all 6 to return?????

If I leave them out late and hungry they only fly 15 minutes or so.

Thanks for all the good advice.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
can the YBs keep up with the OBs if they all fly off ?
Hi,
It is a concept that has become a ritual which is practised by fanciers who train their new team of similar aged youngsters every year separately as they derieve their young by breaking and joining many test pairs. There are other factors involved too.

But that doesnot make it a mandatory rule for training YBs. Yes,when homers are juvenile they must not be let out with OBs but once their squeaks turn into honks and their this voice starts to transform into coos and their eye color changes they're ready to route and explore on their own. At this age if we send them out with OBs its gonna be very helpful for them to learn from OBs to route,return and trap in immediately. One would not lose YBs that way which many fanciers complain. Also the young will condition themselves early and better to pigeon ways of life, learning from OBs rather learning it by making mistakes.
When the honk voice starts to turn into small coos and their eye color starts to change YBs are ready to keep up and learn from OBs

·
Registered
144 Posts
Jass;
thx for the great explanation. very helpful.

Hi,
It is a concept that has become a ritual which is practised by fanciers who train their new team of similar aged youngsters every year separately as they derieve their young by breaking and joining many test pairs. There are other factors involved too.

But that doesnot make it a mandatory rule for training YBs. Yes,when homers are juvenile they must not be let out with OBs but once their squeaks turn into honks and their this voice starts to transform into coos and their eye color changes they're ready to route and explore on their own. At this age if we send them out with OBs its gonna be very helpful for them to learn from OBs to route,return and trap in immediately. One would not lose YBs that way which many fanciers complain. Also the young will condition themselves early and better to pigeon ways of life, learning from OBs rather learning it by making mistakes.
When the honk voice starts to turn into small coos and their eye color starts to change YBs are ready to keep up and learn from OBs

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was actually considering getting a camera attatched to the bird I recued as she goes away :)every day then pops round for anything from half an hour to overnight stays sometimes. Always alone until today when she came with two males. I often wonder where she goes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
couple things that have been working good for me, with YB's that are just getting out from their training cage.

i pack up my OBs in the car, then let my YBs out.
i take the OBs for a road trip. the YBs get to hang out around the outside of the loft, and get to see the OBs come back. then they all trap in together to a feeding call.

if i don't want to leave the YBs out un-attened, or can't let them out in the evening.
i fly the OBs in the morning, and leave the YBs inside.
then i let them all out in the evening, before there second feeding.
the OBs hang around the yard, since they already flew in the morning.

·
Registered
144 Posts
thx!
usually there bird brains out smart mine. :)

once the YBs start ranging a little.
I'll train them short distance with a OB thats sitting on fake egss.
OB always comes straight back to the loft....

·
Registered
144 Posts
thx!
usually there bird brains out smart mine. :)

once the YBs start ranging a little.
I'll train them short distance with a OB thats sitting on fake eggs.
OB always comes straight back to the loft....
then i know i'm getting qaulity training in for the YBs, and there not just sitting in a tree somewhere.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.