Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you prefer to vaccinate at the base of the neck or the leg webbing.

i will be doing it soon .

also is it a different spot for sal bac and pmv

thanks george

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everybody

i think i will go with the leg for now.
the cbs video is great thanks tst john

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've used both areas and personally feel the back of the neck, shoulders is easiest. It has not seemed to make any difference, as far as function is concerned. Get a helper to hold the birds for you, goes much faster.

Jim

·
Registered
253 Posts
I do the leg and wipe the entire area with a cotton swab soaked in alcohol first. Makes it easier to see the skin.
Same idea,I put the alcohol in a spray bottle and spray the site of injection, it wets the feathers and allows me to see the skin a lot easier.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Same idea,I put the alcohol in a spray bottle and spray the site of injection, it wets the feathers and allows me to see the skin a lot easier.
I do the same with the spray bottle and inject in the leg webbing, I don't trust myself in not parlaying the poor bird if I gave it in the neck..

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I do the leg because I inject them myself. Pretty simple. I have read somewhere where mortality rates from the leg are greater than from the neck, but the ratio is something like 1/100,000. Something very small. When you flip the birds over they just lie there. Not much of a fight. Found that some of the newbees like to squirt on you though. Put a towel in your lap. I have only had a couple of birds that show a slight limp a day or two after. I use a spray bottle.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I use a medium size eye-dropper with rubbing alcohol, about half the dropper full in the leg area then run the end through the feathers to expose the skin pocket under the leg. I've never tried the neck, the thought of going to deep makes me shiver :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts