Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found two baby pigeons 6 days ago, their parents died and I've been feeding them since then. Now both are about 20 days old. Previously I used to keep them in same place as their nest, I just used a large card board cartoon. The place where nest was pretty safe and cool ( even in scorching Indian summer) as it was on high window with net, ample air supply and no direct sunlight.

How ever that place is now being frequented by two adult pigeon, whom I scared away many times but they return again and again. Till now they have not injured the babies, but yesterday evening and today morning when I took babies in room to feed them they occupied that area, I flew them again but now I'm keeping babies with me in my room.

I've a 15 feet by 10 feet hostel room, but problem is that I've to use A.C. I keep temperature of 30 degree Celsius (86 degree F) because that's maximum temperature of my A.C. Though pigeons are inside card board box and with ample newspaper cutting as base, I even put them away from direct blow of air and with sufficient opening for inlet of air.

I still have query will they be safe in this temperature or should I keep them where nest was by scaring adult pigeons away again and again.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for helping these little ones.

No, don't return them to the nest, but keep them away from air conditioner vents and any drafts of air. Their lungs are very sensitive, plus sunshine and fresh air will do them alot of good. They should not be kept in the dark.

Allow them access to fresh outdoor air as much as possible, but never leave them alone outisde. Can you get them a nice big bird carrier/cage for indoors?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
You can use a laundry basket with towels in the bottom, wash towels as needed, you can cover them at night with a lap blanket or throw, or light weight towel to cover the top.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for helping these little ones.

No, don't return them to the nest, but keep them away from air conditioner vents and any drafts of air. Their lungs are very sensitive, plus sunshine and fresh air will do them alot of good. They should not be kept in the dark.

Allow them access to fresh outdoor air as much as possible, but never leave them alone outside. Can you get them a nice big bird carrier/cage for indoors?
I can get them bird carrier, but inside room even if I keep A.C. at 30 'C (85' F), maximum temperature of my A.C., won't it affect their warming?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts