Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to add a female of a different blood line to mix with my blacks.

black eagle or black diamond? what would you choose?

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
i want to add a female of a different blood line to mix with my blacks.

black eagle or black diamond? what would you choose?
Considering The black eagles have been around In the U S for over 30 years And have done little in the racing charts. Then the Black diamonds Are hit and miss. Did you ever consider or relize You can use any color line on your blacks to keep them consistant. Using Black cock over any colored hen. Then going back to black next generation. So do not Become color blind building the birds. Color masks the outside. Quality hides on the inside. To have both You go to selection. Just a thought that you might look at

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Yep, you can really add in any color or strain to help them.

Black is actually a blue bird. What makes it appear black is a gene called 'spread'. Spread is dominant, so it only takes one copy of the gene for it to show. Spread also turns ash-red birds lavender, and brown birds solid brown. If they do not show spread, then they aren't carrying it.

If your black birds that you have now are pure for spread (they have two spread genes), then all their babies will be spread. Doesn't matter if this black bird is a hen or a cock, since either sex can have up to two genes for spread :) So that means if you mate one of these pure blacks with a blue bird, then you'll get all black babies. If you mate it with a red bird, you could get blacks and lavenders. Etc.

If the black bird you have is only carrying one gene for spread, then you'll get some spreads and some regular colors.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, you can really add in any color or strain to help them.

Black is actually a blue bird. What makes it appear black is a gene called 'spread'. Spread is dominant, so it only takes one copy of the gene for it to show. Spread also turns ash-red birds lavender, and brown birds solid brown. If they do not show spread, then they aren't carrying it.

If your black birds that you have now are pure for spread (they have two spread genes), then all their babies will be spread. Doesn't matter if this black bird is a hen or a cock, since either sex can have up to two genes for spread :) So that means if you mate one of these pure blacks with a blue bird, then you'll get all black babies. If you mate it with a red bird, you could get blacks and lavenders. Etc.

If the black bird you have is only carrying one gene for spread, then you'll get some spreads and some regular colors.
yea mary that's what the guy i got the bird from did.... he breed his black family to his bluebar then he bring it back.

·
Registered
138 Posts
some of my best 400 mile racers are 1/4 african black eagle 3/4 vanloon that I have in my loft they been doing good for me ....in the top 20 most of the time ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.